Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Good picatinny rail & rings for .308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good picatinny rail & rings for .308?

I need a good picatinny rail and rings for my rifle. I've been looking around but could definitely use some opinions from the experienced members on this forum.

Right now I'm using a decent setup but it's borrowed until I can get my own setup.

The rifle is a Remington 700p. I definitely want a picatinny rail (no standard mount or Weaver). The intended purpose is target shooting at long distances so I definitely need something that will hold a zero very well.

I'd like to spend about $50-60 each on rails and rings, amounting to a $120 budget total.

I really like the look of the $40 EGW rail (link) but they also have a heavy duty version (link) for $30 more and I'm not sure what the difference is or if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The picatinny rail here looks O.K.. If your going to shoot target to 1000 yards definately get a mount with +20 moa. I don't know if your going to be able to get mount and proper scope rings within your budget. I use Badger Ordance HD rings and the McCanns Picatinny base. Over the $120.00 budget you have stated. On the new build I have in progress I'm using all Badger Ordance componets for picatinny base and rings.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Sorry, JT. Your price point is below what the good stuff starts at. EGW gets great reviews, so a $40 rail could be good. It will be aluminum, though.

Valdada has some great steel rails for a good price. Check them out.

What rifle are you mounting it on? You may find a cheap, used take off on one of the forums.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Yes, please do not go cheap now. You have a great rifle, I also have a 700P and love it. Its accurate, if I do my part it rewards me. I went with a Leupold one peice mount with low Burris extreme rings on a 40mm scope.

Below is copied from a optics website for the Remongton 700:

RIFLESCOPE RING HEIGHT

50mm riflescopes will almost always use HIGH rings in a given style. In certain instances, such as with extremely heavy barrels or some makes of firearm, SUPER HIGH rings may be necessary.

42-45mm riflescopes will almost always use MEDIUM rings in a given style. In certain instances, 45mm scopes may require HIGH rings.

40mm riflescopes will almost always have enough clearance with LOW rings in a given style, though MEDIUM rings will give slightly more clearance, particularly when using a barrel with a thicker shank portion or a heavier contour.

28-36mm riflescopes will almost always use LOW rings in a given style. Again, in certain instances of a heavy barrel or heavy shank portion of a custom barrel, MEDUIM rings may have to be used, but LOW rings will almost always suffice.

20mm riflescopes will almost always be able to use LOW rings, but in some cases may also use SUPER LOW rings. In this instance, bolt handle clearance of the OCULAR bell will come into play more so than objective / barrel clearance and should be carefully considered.

My 700P

Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #5

Well, you've definitely convinced me to spend more!

I never realized how pricey the scope mounts would be, but I also understand that there's no point in buying an expensive rifle if your scope won't hold a zero. Let's say I up the budget to $200 for everything?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #6

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Yeah, good mount and rings do tend to get spendy. I think I paid $198.00 for the Badger Ordance rings and $110.00 for the Picatinny mount (steel) when I bought them in 2009. Got to do it all over again soon for the new build. The set up I have is definately rock solid as zero has yet to change up on me with near 800 rounds down the tube and I do tend to beat up on this rifle for the way I use it.

What scope are you considering?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Check out the Valdada stuff. Here is a great one piece steel base.

And here are their excellent steel rings.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

Check these out. Not sure if it fits your needs, but looks interesting anyway.

Tachyon OPS - GunCam

Old 05-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use Badger and Seekins for my expensive optics and they are both high quality. Seekins is a better price point. Seekins Precision :: Innovative Products for Precision Shooters

Check Liberty optics for best price and availability

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 05-25-2011 at 06:56 PM.