fog proof scope suggestions - need advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > fog proof scope suggestions - need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default fog proof scope suggestions - need advice

I finally decided to bite the bullet and put my RARE BLR .284 on gunbroker to fund a new deer rifle!! I'm getting a Stainless Laminate stalk Browning BLR 7mm-08 and want to put a high quality scope on it. This will be my new everyday deer rifle and need a scope that has great low light visibility and must be waterproof and fog proof without using covers. The only scope that I've had to date that is fog proof and water proof without using covers is the Bushnell Elite 3200. Is there any other scope out there that I should look at? I have an older Leupold VX-III on a .270 and it fogs when it gets wet.

Thanks for any help you can give me. The market is so huge and alot of manufactuerers claim their scopes are fog proof but I want to hear from those who have used their scopes in the field in the rain!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Send the Leupold back to Leupold to be repaired. A VX-III should not fog under any circumstances.
All the current scopes are nitrogen or argon filled and should not fog. The Bushnell Elite series is supposed to have a rain repellent that keeps the lens clear in rain but that has nothing to do with fog proof. Just stay with a good name brand in your price range. If you are happy with the Elite, get another one. What power range are you looking at? I prefer low power variables.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Send the Leupold back to Leupold to be repaired. A VX-III should not fog under any circumstances.
All the current scopes are nitrogen or argon filled and should not fog. The Bushnell Elite series is supposed to have a rain repellent that keeps the lens clear in rain but that has nothing to do with fog proof. Just stay with a good name brand in your price range. If you are happy with the Elite, get another one. What power range are you looking at? I prefer low power variables.
I'll have to give Leupold a call!!! I'm looking for either a 2-7x or a 3-9x both in a 40mm or less lens.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

You might want to take a look at these. 30mm tubes on the low power ones.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-3-VX-3L-Riflescopes-C1695.aspx

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You might want to take a look at these. 30mm tubes on the low power ones.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-3-VX-3L-Riflescopes-C1695.aspx
Nice scopes but my concern would be with light gathering capability of the 30mm lens at dawn and dusk.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Trificon makes an excellent, robust scope with great glass and excellent low-light capability in their AccuPoint line. Fiber optic and tritium illumination of the reticle - no batteries required.

I have their TR20 w/ green mil-dot reticle in 3-9X40.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=AccuPoint&mid=3-9x40

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABUCK View Post
Nice scopes but my concern would be with light gathering capability of the 30mm lens at dawn and dusk.
I think the 30 mm you're seeing is referring to the scope body diameter - they come in 1" and 30 mm models.

The objective lenses range from 20mm up to 36mm.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I may splurge and get the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABUCK View Post
I think I may splurge and get the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36.
You will never regret it. You will use it for a lifetime and pass it on to your son/daughter.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
You will never regret it. You will use it for a lifetime and pass it on to your son/daughter.
Will I need to cover the lens in the rain to keep it from fogging on the outside? Right now I don't need to cover my Bushnell elites in the rain. I like the bush elks but I got some extra cash and love the low profile of the Swaro. Plus I can get it for $620+tax!!