Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Eyeglasses and riflescopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Eyeglasses and riflescopes

Once better than 20-20, my tired eyes now need some help. Distant vision is pretty good but images have a fuzzy edges. near vision is a bit more sporty-i cant read without glasses and often have trouble reading on the computer screen. Currently I wear progressive lens.
I have very little experience with riflescopes. Other than safety/eye relief, what other considerations are there for eyeglass wearers? I'm looking to put a 4x or 2-7x possibly a 3-9x on a Ruger American .270 for non-competitive target shooting, 95% of time at 100yds. (Using those magnification powers because I want a hunting rifle even though I won't be hunting -stupid, I know, but that's what I want.

Cheers,

Clay

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I recommend between 4-12x50. If you are shooting in low light or night time you need at least x56. This allows for more light to enter the scope. A red dot might help in low light conditions too. I have problems with a blurry right eye. I am right handed and do not want to shoot left handed. I found the Meopta Meostar 4-12x56rd for 1000 dollars. I see perfectly after adjusting the relief. Leupold has some good scopes the have the red dot, 3-9x50 for under 500. There are military grade eye protectors for shooters with glasses, but I am not familiar with them.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

After a trip to Bass Pro, I'm leaning towards the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9/40. It seemed brighter than the VX-2, although I'm not as keen on the BDC reticle. Low light should not be an issue for me. A cloudy day at the range might be the worst I face. But I think I'll have to get eyeglasses with a bigger frame

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #4

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I'm not much on scopes but i've found that some i can focus fine with my glasses on & some i have to remove to see clearly- Quality maybe?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Its pretty individual according yo your eye failure. I need glasses to read anything at any real distance without glasses but i can shoot scoped just fine without em and have to wear them to shoot with irons at even moderate ranges of 25 yards.

People who cant focus up close have more trouble shooting without glasses than those who cant see far off.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...