Expensive optics? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Expensive optics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoccanis View Post
I don't dismiss what anyone says. I'm just curios. Everybody has the right to buy what they want. I didn't say they were wrong. Enjoy....doc
It is certainly a valid question but if you have to ask why then most likely you will not need the advantages offered. Saying "Everybody has the right to buy what they want" is a fair point but can sound dismissive to someone with an expensive scope who really understands the differences in quality.

You said you donít hunt so that pretty much puts you in the recreational shooter category. Iím not putting you down but I would guess you are shooting mostly less than 100 yds at a range or on private land and that is not a very demanding environment Ö once upon a time that was me and low-end scopes did a fine job. As my shooting became more diverse so did my needs for optics and I have done a lot of research in order to make good purchases.

My first high-end scope came as the result of trying a new long range competition and finding my scopes not up to the task. The competition required firing a series of shots at targets ranging from 250 to 900 yds within a specific time, the background varied from dense forest to low grass. In order to be competitive I needed a scope with a clear bright, clear image with easily readable knobs that give quick , accurate adjustments and a fast repeatable return to zero. The windage and elevation knobs also needed enough adjustment to cover the required distances. I did my research and found many scopes that meet the clarity requirements and adjustments but often had some limitation that I found unacceptable. Eventually I came across a scope that offered enough adjustment for 900 yds in one turn of the elevation knob with a good, solid feel with an accurate adjustment and an easily adjustable zero-stop. It offered a reticle that suited my need for ranging and as could be used for holdover/under if I choose. Some, but not all, of these are features offered on less expensive scopes but this scope combined everything I wanted and needed in one package. They retail for almost $3000 now but I certainly donít regret the purchase because it has never let me down.

You made the comparison to the telescope so I have these comments ... I have a 4" Celestron reflector that cost $400 so it is hardly a high-end optic but does everything I need it to do so I can't justify the cost of a $2200 telescope ... that doesn't mean the high-end optic isn't better.
A telescope is a wonderfully simple optic compared to a telescopic sight, I have friends that built their own using very high quality mirrors and lenses but put them in a cardboard tube and have better resolution that store bought telescopes but I have never seen a homemade rifle scope
well, except for this one I made when I was on the SWAT team at the local mall
Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #22

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

I was in Gander Mountain yesterday and they had a Swarovski rifle scope for $1,900. bucks! WOW! Outside of custom sniper applications what is their high cost justification?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #23

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

I'm thinking the OP understands the design needs of high end scopes. I think maybe he questions their price.

Very specialized equipment usually has a limited market. If you can't spread out the production 'overhead' over lots of units, each one will bear a large production expense. Low production numbers = high unit cost.

Last edited by Vincine; 11-26-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks again for the info. I didn't mean to offend, and again people buy what they need as they should. I,m just asking questions. You know the trouble with the Hubble scope could have been prevented if they had let the NSA do tests before they launched it....doc

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #25

Liked 750 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
I was in Gander Mountain yesterday and they had a Swarovski rifle scope for $1,900. bucks! WOW! Outside of custom sniper applications what is their high cost justification?
I've never looked through a Swarovski in the field. Is it there a striking difference between it and a Leupold or Nikon? I'd like to see the difference.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6667 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
I've never looked through a Swarovski in the field. Is it there a striking difference between it and a Leupold or Nikon? I'd like to see the difference.
yes its noticable but not as much as claimed. the real difference is clarity and lack of distortion at the edges of the field of view. swarovski and zeiss are nice but i honestly dont think they really offer more real user value over nightforce or sightron or us optics offerings. with swarovski its more hype than anything when compaired to similar scopes at slightly lower price points.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." ó L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #27

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
I have looked at low end items and do not see them as particularly bad.
How did you use them? What did you do to test them? Did you mount the scopes and shoot the box test? (Shoot 1 shot noting POA, POI) move the scope 4 clicks up, shoot again using same POA, move scope 4 clicks right shoot 1 shot same POA, 4 clicks down shoot one shot with same POA. Now all 4 shots should be in a roughly 1" square give or take a few thousands.

What do you want to do with a scope?

How much is expensive to you?

Have you ever been on a 1000 yard range when it is 110* and you are 15 shots into a 25 shot string and the barrel is too hot to touch? This is where a $1900 Nightforce shines and a $500 Nikon bites the dust.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #28

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Watch these videos.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #29

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Compared to almost any hunting scope,Yes,the Swarovski's will really show their advantages over the others in most outside conditions.Low light,fog,cloudy,or rainy conditions are where the others will show their short comings.

Like Jon said,when you compare the Swarovski's to a lot of quality Target/Long Range type scopes,most of them are as good if not better than the Swarovski's.
My Swarovski Pro Hunter was priced at $2k new,and all of my $800+ Sightron SIII scopes will run right with it in almost all conditions,and beat it in several when it comes to shooting Long Range.
Sonic82 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #30

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Since I am not rolling in dough, a $250 scope should work!

Last edited by mountainskytop; 11-26-2012 at 03:19 AM.