Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Expensive optics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Expensive optics?

I have a PhD in Physics and have worked on designing optical devices. I have to say I am hard pressed to justify the cost of high end optics. When optics were hand made one at a time they were expensive. Now they are mass produced. Can someone tell me why I am wrong?....doc

Last edited by maddoccanis; 11-24-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #2

Liked 1961 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quality control. Hand assembly in controlled work spaces. There is still a lot of manual labor involved in sporting optics. Then those optics are subjected to weather, temperature extremes, recoil etc. and still expected to hold zero through power adjustments and maintain repeatable adjustments. Cost of facilities and equipment for mass production. Paying technicians that maintain the equipment. Unions, benefits packages, insurance, testing, marketing, lawyers, shipping and receiving, accounting. Designing it is only the beginning.

A lab microscope doesn't get exposed to as many variables and extremes as a rifle scope. It has a controlled light source and background. Telescopes may get exposed to some weather and temp extremes but usually not as extreme and with less rough handling.

Then when you get into red dots the best have to meet military requirements like all of the rough handling while holding zero, submersion requirements, ability to be exposed to salt water, night vision settings, and circuitry that can handle all of this along with battery power management that allows 50,000 hours of constant illumination. Some optics use radioactive gasses to illuminate the sight.

Purging gasses and other hazmat costs. Lots of these are built outside of the US because of the labor and environmental costs that would be incurred here, and they are still expensive overseas. Then add import tariff. Then add good old supply and demand, and the market drives the price up even more.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-24-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Cattledog Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

a lot of the cost has to do with how rugged the internals are and how well they repeat adjustments and how consistant the clicks are from stop to stop. the glass itself isnt the major factor.

ssgn beat me to it with a better explanation :P

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #4

Liked 1961 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
a lot of the cost has to do with how rugged the internals are and how well they repeat adjustments and how consistant the clicks are from stop to stop. the glass itself isnt the major factor.

ssgn beat me to it with a better explanation :P
But you were more concise.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

and you two beat me to all of it. What they said....:-p

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #6

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I think there's only a handful of labs that precision grind glass. I heard alot of the big manufacturers use the same labs.

Actually, I used to grind and polish precision glass. Much tighter tolerances than for Sporting Optics. I made Ring Laser Gyros for the Aviation and Cruise Missle industry.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 11-24-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
I think there's only a handful of labs that precision grind glass. I heard alot of the big manufacturers use the same labs.

Actually, I used to grind and polish precision glass. Much tighter tolerances than for Sporting Optics. I made Ring Laser Gyros for the Aviation and Cruise Missle industry.

True that. Try looking at the stars with even a mediocre rifle scope and it wont look nearly as good as a cheap telescope. Strap that same telescope to a rifle and watch it become a paperweight in .005 seconds.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1703 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5193

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoccanis View Post
I have a PhD in Physics and have worked on designing optical devices. I have to say I am hard pressed to justify the cost of high end optics. When optics were hand made one at a time they were expensive. Now they are mass produced. Can someone tell me why I am wrong?....doc
hmmm tell you why you are wrong. .. ..Ok, sure..

You are wrong because the real world is a little tougher on scopes than a classroom or lab. Execution of design is critical. Manufacturing makes the biggest difference.

Lower end manufacturing skimps on the quality of the manufacturing steps to keep costs low. Scopes do not acheive theoretical goodness. Approaching the goodness costs money.

precision, material, coatings, mounting, seals, gas ......
you know all of this as a design engineer.

Hit the websites to look at the features and specs.

Hit the stores, compare scopes.

Try your constestants in low light condition and try the controls.
Buy what you think is good enough.

My guess is that you will soon see why you should spend a little more.

References:

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #9

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
True that. Try looking at the stars with even a mediocre rifle scope and it wont look nearly as good as a cheap telescope. Strap that same telescope to a rifle and watch it become a paperweight in .005 seconds.
Not sure of your point...glass quality doesn't have much to do with durability that I know of.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoccanis View Post
Just to be clear, what can't you justify? Is it the list price of the optic or is it PAYING that price because those are two very different things. I'm also not sure what price point you consider "high end", $500, $1000, $3000 or ?

Several valid reasons the list price is so high have been listed above so I won't go back over them but complexity also plays a big part of high end scopes.
As a designer you must know that as the user requirements increase so does complexity. The shooters requirements for high resolution and clarity with good contrast will require a more complex lens array so where a low end scope might have 5 lenses, a high end scope might have 10 or more. This increases the critical nature of the assembly process to ensure proper alignment and increases the cost to produce.

As far as paying for a high end scope, I can't possibly say you are wrong because you may not have a need for the level of clarity, ruggedness or functionality offered as the price increases. Honestly, the differences between top-end and bottom-end optics are huge but grow smaller as the price point increases from the mid-range up. It really becomes a personal preference due to the unique qualities of an individual's eyes/vision.

If you hunt in open country with good light you will likely not see an advantage to a high-end scope. If you hunt in dense vegetation under low light you might need the better resolution and contrast in order to separate the game from the background or each other. If you shoot long distances then higher magnification with less distortion is very important and can be provided by the higher end products.
I own scopes that range for $50 to $3000 and they each fufill a specific requirement ... in the end only you can “justify" making that purchase.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Txhillbilly Likes This