EOTech Vs. Aimpoint
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > EOTech Vs. Aimpoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default EOTech Vs. Aimpoint

k looking at optics for an AR-15 build,i use to own an EOTech 556 (traded for mauser and 1200 rounds of 7.92) but instead of using AA batteries like advertised even on the box, it used ABC batteries (sure fire batteries)and a more common battery size is important to me (AA will be easier to get in a SHTF situation). i like EOtechs but have never used an aimpoint.

has anyone used both and have some points of contrast on things like co-witnessing

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have fairly extensive experience with Aimpoints and have used them from sub zero temps to 130+ in sleet, snow, hail, pouring rain and in blistering desert heat.
But my personal experience with Eo's is limited.

That said, I'm fairly astute, and pay attention to things I use.

I prefer Aimpoints for the following reasons.

The analog switch on the M2/M3 AP's is very durable. Essentially bombproof.
The digital switch on the Eo is prone to wearing out.

Battery life on a good Aimpoint is measured in years. 65,000 hours+
Eo battery life is measured in hours. 500-1,000 hours +/-

Aimpoint stays on until it is turned off.
Eo has auto shut off and turns itself off. (I really dislike this feature)

Aimpoints use the 30mm ring of the user's choice. Easy to vary the height.
Eo has built in mount.

Aimpoints are ridiculously durable.
Eos are (reportedly) prone to breakage.

But for a general use optic the Eo will serve just fine. They have cool reticules and mount very low. The Bushnell Holosight is the poor mans Eo and works great.

Hopefully someone with more Eo experience can chime in.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #3

And one more thing. The "AA" battery option is great, but "AA"s are fragile and unreliable in temperature extremes.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The Bushnell Holosight is the poor mans Eo and works great.

Hopefully someone with more Eo experience can chime in.
I've got the poor mans version (Bushnell Holosite) that is currently riding on my M4. I have an aimpoint mounted on my Ruger MK11 Slabside Target pistol. I like both of them. I prefer the Eo type becuase of all the retical choices that you have.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
And one more thing. The "AA" battery option is great, but "AA"s are fragile and unreliable in temperature extremes.
That is a major downside for sure.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

well i don't plan on operating this AR outside of a temperate climate, and sure fire batteries are expensive as hell and tough to find...and they dont SEEM to last long (maybe its because of the nature of a surefire)

The Resident Vegan Hippie who loves guns

Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartoffelSalat View Post
well i don't plan on operating this AR outside of a temperate climate, and sure fire batteries are expensive as hell and tough to find...and they dont SEEM to last long (maybe its because of the nature of a surefire)
I run the Energizer batts in my M3's. They last for years and years, even if the AP is left in the "on" position. Buying an $8 battery once every 5 or 6 years does not seem too extreme to me.

But if you are talking about the Surefire Lithium 123's, they are the best 123's available. They have an internal circuit that keeps them running at full juice for a longer curve. But then they die instantly, usually when you try to turn the light back on they are just dead, even though they were fully bright 10 seconds before.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 10-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #8

Now I don't kick in doors for a living, but I like the Eotech and I have two of them. I had an aimpoint and the dot was never very crisp sometimes almost looked oval. I have been very happy with my Eotechs and never had battery issues.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have an Aimpoint ML2 and a C3. I also have the Eotech 512. If I could only have one it would be the Eotech. Battery life on all three is not really an issue. 60,000 hours or 600 hours, either are plenty long enough for me. I can get AA batteries anywhere. I have yet to find a local source for batteries for my Aimpoint, and Midway seems to have a hard time keeping them in stock. If you are into gloom and doom SHTF, a AA model 512 Eotech seems to me to be a better route.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.