Eotech 553 OR Trijicon Acog?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Eotech 553 OR Trijicon Acog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

I have a question about the Clyde Armory SCAR stock for my tactical mini 14.. and there is a few more things I just may very well need!

This build is for home defense and range shooting.

It is hard to choose. I have never owned an Acog and I think I am a little close to purchasing one. Especially the Eotech 553 with the raise mount it comes with.

This is my first rifle for personal use. This may also be a very interesting question - Do you think either the Acog, or Eotech is more ideal for this build?

Also, I just need to have one of the optics being right above the receiver. It is just my personal preference so far.. Which is why I need help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
I have a question about the Clyde Armory SCAR stock for my tactical mini 14.. and there is a few more things I just may very well need!

This build is for home defense and range shooting.

It is hard to choose. I have never owned an Acog and I think I am a little close to purchasing one. Especially the Eotech 553 with the raise mount it comes with.

This is my first rifle for personal use. This may also be a very interesting question - Do you think either the Acog, or Eotech is more ideal for this build?

Also, I just need to have one of the optics being right above the receiver. It is just my personal preference so far.. Which is why I need help!
Different animals. The ACOG is a 4x scope and not really suitable (it can be used but it's not made for it) close quarters use. For home defense an EOTECH or Aimpoint is a better choice. If you like Trijicon take a look at the TriPower.

I don't like cowitnessing irons and optics so I have mine on a GG&G 1/2" riser that extends a bit in front of the upper receiver. Very fast setup (SBR in the middle). GG&G rear sight folds neatly out of the way.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #3

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Thank you, Wambli!

Actually you're absolutely right about the ACOG. On their website they have tons of models and they say it is great for home defense but the magnification doesn't seem like it will do any good on this one..

EOtech it is going to be! - I am wondering how well this is going to be... lol

The 553 should be able to raise well. I guess we will have to see.. It is only my first rifle build..and so far it looks like I am enjoying it already and I don't even have a range report! .... YET!

Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Good luck with your build and I can tell you from personal experience these rifles become money pits

Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Liked 4998 Times on 2425 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Don't own an ACOG but I've had an EOTECH on my AR for 8 years. It's a well built and reliable piece of equipment.

Being a former "pre-optic" Infantryman I was skeptical of anything but iron sights so it took my gun store a good bit of convincing. I just could not get my head around HOW a "floating" reticle could possible be accurate...

I still can't tell you HOW they work...But the do and I would not be without one.

TACK

Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #6

PM sent for EOTech.