Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Eotech 552 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Default Eotech 552 help

I found a guy on Craigslist selling eotech 552 sights (he has several) used for $200. He said they have been dura coated black and claim to be in good working condition. Just a couple questions for the experts here:

Is this a good sight for fun sport shooting?
Is this a good price?
How can I verify that this is authentic eotech item?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

eotech are decent. only way to tell is compare it to a real one.

personally i wouldnt buy optics used off ebay. so many people are faking those and scamming optics.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A true EOTech is a high quality optic and should work fine for sport shooting.
If it is a real 552 it would be a good price.
If you can see it in person the are some ways to see if it is a fake.

They have a big problem with fakes, this link takes you to the EOTech website: Recognizing a counterfeit EOTech.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Last edited by TCH2FLY; 01-10-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
eotech are decent. only way to tell is compare it to a real one.

personally i wouldnt buy optics used off ebay. so many people are faking those and scamming optics.
It's not eBay, I will be able to visually inspect it. He also has aim point m2 optic, is this a better option? Aim point prices vary though he said.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Giant,

Go to the EOTech Company website and check the topic on counterfeit units. There is a directive out at the present warning of counterfeits. They give you some hints on identifying counterfeit units. Most I believe have other batteries and not the AA batteries that the standard 552 Unit has. I can not imagine him selling them for $200. Of course once he took the protective hood off the units he voided any and all warranties! As you stated he has evidently covered up the EOTech Logo by coating them?? EOTech advised that the counterfeit units have no logo or if they do it does not look correct. And they are coming out of Korea and China. There are some other things to look for also. You do know that if it is the original EOTech 552 it is Night Vision Compatible and should have a center button that is marked NV. Also it should have 10 different light setting on NV but you will not be able to see it with the naked eye when the NV Button is pushed. With the unit in the daytime mode if you push the NV button the screen should go blank to the naked eye as I mentioned and another push on the NV Button will activate the reticle so you can once again see it! It should have about 20 light settings as far as reticle dim and brightness. One way also to check it out assuming it is original is that when you first turn it on in the daytime mode it should turn on in light setting number 12 which is in the middle of dim and the brighter adjustments.
Another way is while looking through the screen with the unit on have someone move a business card down slowly directly in front of the lens. If it is a true holographic you will have to almost completely block out your vision before the reticle can no longer be seen on the target. The reticle will move down as the card is lowered. The counterfeit units are actualy red dot sights only and some they stated have changeable reticles in them. Like Red and Green reticles! Hope this helps! Use caution! You know the old saying if it seems to be too good to be true it is probably not true!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #6

Great advice. I asked him to send 5 or 6 detailed pictures of the sight before I make the drive

Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #7

Here are a couple pictures from the link I posted, the real EOTech is on the left and you can see minor differences
clipboard01.jpg
Again the left is real, note the excessive reflection on the fake lens
clipboard02.jpg

Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

TCH,

You do not have any pictures of the control panel on the counterfeit units do you? Great post comparing the two!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #9

clipboard03.jpg

The arrow is point to the "laser" diode, which on a fake will point back toward the user

Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #10

I picked up a used 552 for $275, it's a decent unit. I prefer my Aimpoint H1, but that was purchased new and for almost another $200. I have no problem buying used, and you have the opportunity to inspect, but it may be tougher to determine on account of the claimed duracoating. When you're checking it out, err on the side of caution, like leftover meat in the fridge ... when in doubt, throw it out. There's PLENTY of quality used optics available on Internet forums, and there's quality lower cost optics available from sources like Primary Arms. There's safer reliable places to acquire optics in your price range, so don't be afraid to walk away from this deal if it seems fishy on inspection. It is a great price for a 552, if you're confident in the authenticity and the guy is respectable, you've got a screamin' deal. Good luck.

_________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ