Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Eotech 552 help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/eotech-552-help-55139/)

Powersportgiant 01-09-2012 10:53 PM

Eotech 552 help

I found a guy on Craigslist selling eotech 552 sights (he has several) used for $200. He said they have been dura coated black and claim to be in good working condition. Just a couple questions for the experts here:

Is this a good sight for fun sport shooting?
Is this a good price?
How can I verify that this is authentic eotech item?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

JonM 01-09-2012 11:05 PM

eotech are decent. only way to tell is compare it to a real one.

personally i wouldnt buy optics used off ebay. so many people are faking those and scamming optics.

TCH2FLY 01-09-2012 11:09 PM

A true EOTech is a high quality optic and should work fine for sport shooting.
If it is a real 552 it would be a good price.
If you can see it in person the are some ways to see if it is a fake.

They have a big problem with fakes, this link takes you to the EOTech website: Recognizing a counterfeit EOTech.

Powersportgiant 01-09-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
eotech are decent. only way to tell is compare it to a real one.

personally i wouldnt buy optics used off ebay. so many people are faking those and scamming optics.

It's not eBay, I will be able to visually inspect it. He also has aim point m2 optic, is this a better option? Aim point prices vary though he said.

Sniper03 01-09-2012 11:35 PM

Giant,

Go to the EOTech Company website and check the topic on counterfeit units. There is a directive out at the present warning of counterfeits. They give you some hints on identifying counterfeit units. Most I believe have other batteries and not the AA batteries that the standard 552 Unit has. I can not imagine him selling them for $200. Of course once he took the protective hood off the units he voided any and all warranties! As you stated he has evidently covered up the EOTech Logo by coating them?? EOTech advised that the counterfeit units have no logo or if they do it does not look correct. And they are coming out of Korea and China. There are some other things to look for also. You do know that if it is the original EOTech 552 it is Night Vision Compatible and should have a center button that is marked NV. Also it should have 10 different light setting on NV but you will not be able to see it with the naked eye when the NV Button is pushed. With the unit in the daytime mode if you push the NV button the screen should go blank to the naked eye as I mentioned and another push on the NV Button will activate the reticle so you can once again see it! It should have about 20 light settings as far as reticle dim and brightness. One way also to check it out assuming it is original is that when you first turn it on in the daytime mode it should turn on in light setting number 12 which is in the middle of dim and the brighter adjustments.
Another way is while looking through the screen with the unit on have someone move a business card down slowly directly in front of the lens. If it is a true holographic you will have to almost completely block out your vision before the reticle can no longer be seen on the target. The reticle will move down as the card is lowered. The counterfeit units are actualy red dot sights only and some they stated have changeable reticles in them. Like Red and Green reticles! Hope this helps! Use caution! You know the old saying if it seems to be too good to be true it is probably not true!

Powersportgiant 01-09-2012 11:41 PM

Great advice. I asked him to send 5 or 6 detailed pictures of the sight before I make the drive

TCH2FLY 01-10-2012 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pictures from the link I posted, the real EOTech is on the left and you can see minor differences
Attachment 37260
Again the left is real, note the excessive reflection on the fake lens
Attachment 37261

Sniper03 01-10-2012 12:41 AM

TCH,

You do not have any pictures of the control panel on the counterfeit units do you? Great post comparing the two!

TCH2FLY 01-10-2012 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 37265

The arrow is point to the "laser" diode, which on a fake will point back toward the user

philobeddoe 01-23-2012 01:48 AM

I picked up a used 552 for $275, it's a decent unit. I prefer my Aimpoint H1, but that was purchased new and for almost another $200. I have no problem buying used, and you have the opportunity to inspect, but it may be tougher to determine on account of the claimed duracoating. When you're checking it out, err on the side of caution, like leftover meat in the fridge ... when in doubt, throw it out. There's PLENTY of quality used optics available on Internet forums, and there's quality lower cost optics available from sources like Primary Arms. There's safer reliable places to acquire optics in your price range, so don't be afraid to walk away from this deal if it seems fishy on inspection. It is a great price for a 552, if you're confident in the authenticity and the guy is respectable, you've got a screamin' deal. Good luck.