electronic sights in ohsht its cold weather - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > electronic sights in ohsht its cold weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have not had a problem with TRS25's not being bright enough. I dont think I have turned them up higher than 5 and it gets very bright here.

Jon: over 50 years ago the National Weather Service or whatever it was called back then warned the we were coming out of a relatively mild weather cycle and entering a more active cycle with hotter and colder temperature swings with more violent storms. It looks like they were right and it is going to last a long time since the cycles can last hundreds if not thousands of years. Long cycles are a lot easier to predict than short ones and we are just at the beginning of the cycle. We are having warmer summers and apparently colder winters but the weather changes have been politicized which is making a bad situation worse. The truth suffers greatly when politicians get involved.
I don't have a trs25 to try in ecw or bright snowy days. On a clear cold day here the brightness off the snow is insane.

If your not afraid to break it stick it in the freezer for a few hours and see if it affects brightness

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2361 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 679

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things..
I dont plan on going anywhere that cold again.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things..
I dont plan on going anywhere that cold again.
LOL. You may find it coming to see you...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1459 Posts
Likes Given: 793

When I moved to NC I thought I had moved to the lower regions of the north pole. I know I can't handle the weather in WI.

I came to NC with a construction crew from LA. We had a big ice storm with about a foot of snow within a week of our arrival. We had to get a draw from the contractor to buy each man coveralls and boots. Our idea of winter gear was high top tennis shoes or rubber boots without insulation.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2361 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
LOL. You may find it coming to see you...
The ice age is coming! The ice age is coming! Snowy Owls are being sighted in the north east and they are usually around the Arctic Circle.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/snowy_owl_invasion_puzzles_sci/21127590

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

lol

its global warming that causes ice ages. dont you know anything

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #27

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Hey Jon, good tests. Did you notice how Frost/Fog buildup did between the Glass Coatings made any difference?

Did you have, what you thought were dead/weak Battery or Reticle and found it to be a Contact issue when Cold? Self-corrected when back up to Temp.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
Hey Jon, good tests. Did you notice how Frost/Fog buildup did between the Glass Coatings made any difference?

Did you have, what you thought were dead/weak Battery or Reticle and found it to be a Contact issue when Cold? Self-corrected when back up to Temp.
i think it had more to do with the surface area of the glass. the ones that performed the worst in ice build up where the largest diameter with more surface to build frost. the aimpoint has the least surface area it performed the best the acog next then the strikefire

the coatings are mainly to help with fogging issues clarity and glare which isnt the same as icing issues.

i dont know the state of the battery they are all original to the optics just as it would be in a true "ohsht i need to use it now" situation. having fresh batteries almost never happens when you actually need it. so testing fresh ones is kinda pointless.

batteries do not work well in the cold its just the nature of how they function. cold degrades battery performance significantly. as they warmed up they returned to normal operation. everything inside each battery compartment looked normal after they got back to room temp. i didnt want the moist warm air getting in there and condensing on the connectors so i didnt open them when cold.

my conclusion is dont trust cheaper quality electronic optics with your life if you live in an area where it drops below freezing. keep spare batteries on hand preferably on the gun where they can be retrieved quickly. keep lens cloth on the gun to keep optics clean regardless of the temp even if you use buis and co-witness you cant see the sights or dot through a muddy lens. you mount should be a single throw QD style not the hard to remove knurled knobs so commonly found on firearms optic mounts if your running a scope with buis or a reddot with buis. you need to be able to remove that thing without tools.

personally im going to stick with battery free optics like the trijicon stuff. the tr24 works just like a aimpoint when its 1x and like a acog BAC at other levels of magnification. personally i think the tr24 is a much better option than a rds as the triangle does blurr out with astigmatism like a rds does meaning you can use it for accurate shooting at range.

i havent used the tr24 as much as the acog but i kinda like the tr24 better because i can run it like a dot sight or like a magnified optic even though it doesnt have a bdc past 300ish yards. it does have target turrets when the caps are removed and they can be marked for bullet drop.

the tr24 has much better field of view un til you hit 4x and the acog edges but the accupoint has over double the eye relief and like the aimpoint when its at 1x you see the reticle just put it on target there is lttle to no parallex.

3.2 inch eye relief is much much much better than 1.5 of the acog its like night and day. the acog you gotta get your nose on the charging handle and keep it there or you lose your eye box. the accupoint its not that important.

after getting the tr24 if i had to rebuy the acog i think i would get the accupoint over it.

i did this mainly to try and confirm or disprove my feelings about electronic optics and its lent me more belief that im right to stear further away from them