El cheapo scope for an AK, below 75dollars. Is there a good one here?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > El cheapo scope for an AK, below 75dollars. Is there a good one here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default El cheapo scope for an AK, below 75dollars. Is there a good one here?

After looking thru the entire optics subfurum here, and asking questions at the Optics talk forum and Saiga12 forum, I absolutely understand you get what you pay for. On the other hand, I looked at opticsplanet and saw some decent reviews for some cheap scopes, no less than 5 reviews with 5 stars.

My results are: Simmons blazer 3-9x32, $50
barska huntmaster 3-9x40, $50
Kruger Tac driver 3-9x40, $60
leapers golder image 3-9x32, $50
Tasco world class 3-9x40, $60
tasco target and varmint 2.5-10, $75

Can someone tell me if any of these would be good for my saiga ak? Im looking for something that can hold zero being taken on and off my rifle, since I have a quick detatch side mount. Also, something that will last a while.

I know Id be better off with a more expensive scope, Im just trying to find a better scope than I have now. Its the cheapest one on earth, an ultralux 4x25.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342
After looking thru the entire optics subfurum here, and asking questions at the Optics talk forum and Saiga12 forum, I absolutely understand you get what you pay for. On the other hand, I looked at opticsplanet and saw some decent reviews for some cheap scopes, no less than 5 reviews with 5 stars.

My results are: Simmons blazer 3-9x32, $50
barska huntmaster 3-9x40, $50
Kruger Tac driver 3-9x40, $60
leapers golder image 3-9x32, $50
Tasco world class 3-9x40, $60
tasco target and varmint 2.5-10, $75

Can someone tell me if any of these would be good for my saiga ak? Im looking for something that can hold zero being taken on and off my rifle, since I have a quick detatch side mount. Also, something that will last a while.

I know Id be better off with a more expensive scope, Im just trying to find a better scope than I have now. Its the cheapest one on earth, an ultralux 4x25.
Tasco are the better of the bunch u listed, but it is what it is cheap scope

Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought the same thing. I have heard alot of guys satisfied with their tasco's. They are the only scopes Ive used, other than cheap bushnells on my dads hunting rifles. Every one worked just fine and killed alot of deer.
I dont know much about the other ones though, I hear some good and some bad.

But are the rest junk? There seem to be alot of low priced scopes, its hard to know which is better and why.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342
I thought the same thing. I have heard alot of guys satisfied with their tasco's. They are the only scopes Ive used, other than cheap bushnells on my dads hunting rifles. Every one worked just fine and killed alot of deer.
I dont know much about the other ones though, I hear some good and some bad.

But are the rest junk? There seem to be alot of low priced scopes, its hard to know which is better and why.
Barska ,bsa, while on a 22 may be fine but on a centerfire are just crap. The recoil kills em quick most of the time. I call cheap scopes maby scopes, becouse they may work or may not I dont like those odds. Save up get a good scope an be done with it thats my .02 tho

Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #5

Liked 1618 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 359

AKs are rough on scopes. You will find that an inexpensive scope will probably not hold zero on that rifle. I tried a good red-dot on mine and after a few months I removed it and went back to iron sights.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Look at the Konus shotgun scopes. A fixed 2.5x32 would have less parts to break and has an etched reticle so no wires to break. I have a Simmons Aetec that did not last 40 rnds on a 308 bolt. It was a replacement for a Simmons that broke on a 223 bolt. The Barskas dont hold point of aim on power change. Look at the Vortex Crossfire line for a little more money.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
AKs are rough on scopes. You will find that an inexpensive scope will probably not hold zero on that rifle. I tried a good red-dot on mine and after a few months I removed it and went back to iron sights.
I thought an ak would be rather easy on a scope?? But I guess there are alot of separate bumps as the carrier goes back (when the carrier bottom and the bolt goes over the hammer twice then slams back forward) , unlike a bolt action or many other semi auto rifles. Although it is quite light on recoil.

There is nothing wrong with my irons, I can hit basically anything up to 100yds with them. I am looking for more precise long range options though(100-200yds). This scope will live on my quick detatch mount and be able to get slapped on at a moments notice, if a long shot presents itself.

I pretty much know that the lower priced vortex scope is the way to go, with the great warranty and quality for the price. I very well may get one, it will take a while though. Between now and spring I will be buying an ace skeleton stock plus necessary mounting hardware and cheek rest, and a nice chaos aluminum quad rail. That will be 250bucks right there.....

And thats the reason for the post about cheapo scopes, I may not have the extra hundred+ bucks for the decent scope for a while. I just want something a little better than my ultralux 4x25, which isnt horrible but isnt great either. It holds zero when going on and off my rifle, but isnt the clearest and the adjustments arent consistant at all.

Im just trying to get one thats bit better, for now.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #8

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Take a look at the CenterPoint scopes that WalMart sells. They make scopes for Air Rifles, which like an AR, gives forward/reverse shocks to a scope. You can get a 3-9x40 that package says will handle a Rigby 416 recoil for around $60, OR a fixed 4-power Bushnell for $60.
Del

Old 11-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
Take a look at the CenterPoint scopes that WalMart sells. They make scopes for Air Rifles, which like an AR, gives forward/reverse shocks to a scope. You can get a 3-9x40 that package says will handle a Rigby 416 recoil for around $60, OR a fixed 4-power Bushnell for $60.
Del
The centerpoint scopes are very poor quality an very heavy just save some money buy a good solid bushnell 3200 for 175 or so. Then u wont have to buy several junk ones before u realize heck should have just got a good one. In the end it all adds up anyways

Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #10

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would of mentioned a Bushnell 3200 Muliemaster, because you can get one for good money now that Bushnell has stopped making that line of scopes and gone to just making the Elite lineup, but PJJ342 wanted cheap, so I mentioned CenterPoint. On the contrary, they have pretty fair/clear glass for a Chinese scope, and lots of folks have had very good results with these scopes. Also, they're made strong and heavy, because CenterPoint is a Crossman Company. Hence, a Air Rifle scope for it's ruggedness. If OP wanted some very good scopes for less than $200, I would of mentioned Weaver, Burris, Redfield, Nikon, and a couple others which would fit the bill.
One other scope to mention, would possibly be a Thompson Contender scope that's used on Muzzleloaders. Don't know if they could/would hold up to the fast burn recoil of a semi-auto centerfire, compared to slow burn of a muzzleloader, but those 50cal rifles carry a pretty good punch. If they can, WalMart carries them for around $75.
Honestly best choice would be to save more money and actually get a scope that everyone knows would take the punishment, instead of settling on a cheap scope that will constantly need replacement, but lots of folks just want something quick, versas, something worth the money. Been down this road myself many times. I now own cheap scopes(Bushnell) and scopes costing upwards of $300(Weaver). I owned a CenterPoint scope once and I really liked it's clarity/rugged build/bells and whistles, but my 30-06 didn't, so now, I have a Nikon Buckmaster on it. This is a scope that has proven itself with putting lots of meat on my table for Family, but of course, it's around that $200+ mark.
Del