Does this sound funny to anyone? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Does this sound funny to anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

central IL Danville

Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Man, I don't know ANYONE in that part of the country to recommend.

I'll ask around the shop and see if the couple of guys who pop in there can recommend a real good guy....

Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks JD

Ill look around for someone and if all else fails ill do it myself with help from here. Im not mechanically retarded but if the parts dont fit i guess its hard to make it work right. I thinkThe gun smith did say somthing about the scope being ofset but i may be wrong he mumbles alot. But i guess if he cant get the crosshairs level (had to do that myself) then he probably couldnt get the scope on right.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Like JD said, the problem could be with the alignment of the mounts. The best thing for you to do now would be to remove the upper scope ring halves and see how the scope lays in the bottom halves. If it cradles nicely with no visible offset, then you are good to go. Are the scope ring bases tight to the mounts? Are the mounts tight to the receiver? I am assuming the receiver was drilled and tapped at the factory? If so, I doubt the mounting holes were drilled off-axis. Go through each step of the process carefully to determine which step was done incorrectly. The receiver holes should be degreased and a drop of loc-tite placed in the threads before attaching the mounts. The upper ring halves should be tightened incrementally and diagonally front to back, like tightening a head or valve cover. Degrease the internal portion of the rings as well as the scope tube where it seats in the rings also. Some rings need to be lapped to achieve a perfect seat.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-27-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ill check this weekend and report when i can my home computer took a big dump last week. yes it was done at the factory, and i have mounted several scopes into rings and never had a problem before, but this is just weird. Ill let you know

Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well i took the scope off the gun and looked everything over really good. it seems as if the mounting holes on the rear of the receiver are just off of center a hair, but if i look from a different perspective they look perfect so i dont know, what i do know is thet when i screw the back weaver mount into the holes it looks as if it is angled differently than the front mount, so i am pretty sure there is something wrong with the mount. is there any good way (besides eying it) to determine if the mounting holes are out of line? i guess if all else fails ill send it back to savage and say fix it, and maybe if i ask nice they will chamber it for 220 swift for free

Old 08-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What kind of equipment do you have available?

The first thing we would do in the shop would be to mount up the receiver in the mill and check the alignment. We usually drill out factory screw holes for one size bigger anyways, so that we can gaurantee the alignment.

In a "other" case scenario, a bench vise and you can use a set of dial calipers to compare the measurements front and back.

In a worst case, you can take your basic measurements and see where the holes stand.

Now, another option is to mount up a one piece rail and hand lap the scope mounts, but then you are getting into a territory where you need to do it right, or you are going to end up making things worse.

What have you got to work with?

JD

Old 08-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It seems improbable to me that Savage could mis-drill the receiver. They use a jig for that. Try turning the screws in by hand to check that the screw is perpendicular to the hole - whoever mounted your scope may have cross-threaded the screws causing the mount to seat at an angle. Also check the holes in the mount - they could be drilled off center also, causing the mount to sit at an angle on the receiver. You mentioned Weaver being the manufacturer of the mounts, not the brand most people use for bench rest accuracy. It's possible, but I doubt Savage messed up -

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

JD: i dont really have much equipment except for hand tools and a vice. I will check tomorrow to see if i can get good measurments with my dial caliper, maybe something will stand out. Lapping rings sounds hard and i have no idea what is involved in doing it right. I would definatly pay a premiun for a gunsmith that could fix these problems for me

Im relativly certain that the weaver mounts are screw up so they will be replaced with more quality parts if i find that the mounting holes are on par.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

are you talking about the Bushnell elite 4200? the guy at the gun shop was recommending one of the bushnell elites to me. either the 3200 4200 or the 6200.