Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Does this sound funny to anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does this sound funny to anyone?

I bought a bushnell 4200 series 6-24X40 for my savage model 12, and when the guy at the gun shop mounted it he put a lazer in the bore and said he was boresighting it. When i got home i noticed that the elevation knob was cranked all the way up, but he didnt bother to touch the windage knob. When i first shot the rifle it shot super high and to the right like 12 inches each way at 100 yards, so i started adjusting, and to get 12 inches of adjustment on a scope with 1/8 in clicks i had to crank the windage almost all the way to the left to get it to hit on target. The ammo i made made a bit of a difference after i zeroed with crappy factory ammo i shot some of my own loads and they shot way to the left. so now i have a little bit more adjustment i can use left or right, but its still not anywhere close to being at the mechanical zero of the scope.

dose this sound anyways familiar or am i just way out on this one ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It sounds like either the scope was not mounted in line with the center axis of the bore, or you have a long range scope rail with built-in elevation, for long range shooting, so you don't have to max out your scopes' elevation knob to make long range shots (500+ yds). A way to check is with a small level. Level the action, then level the scope. Maybe the scope is mounted incorrectly (mis-matched rings, rings not seated in their mounts, etc.) If you need to dismount the scope, don't worry, while laser bore sighters are nice, you can do the same thing by eye on a bolt action. Place the gun in a solid rest, remove the bolt, sight the target through the barrel and align the center of the bore with the center of the target. Now look through the scope and see what your sight picture looks like. Adjust the crosshairs to the target center. This is not as accurate as a laser bore sighter, but it will place your first shot on the paper.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-26-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Personally, I haven't dosed for many years.

As for laser sighting, I have found that they always get you close. The only difference has been in elevation, not in windage. I do my own laser sighting usually at a much closer distance than 100 yds. The sighting targets are made to comp the distance 'tween the center of the scope and the bore. When I get to shooting at 100 or so yds, normally I have to bring the scope down, but I rarely have to adjust left-right.

No, that does not sound normal. Sounds like the guy who did so had no idea what he was doing, imo. It is pretty simple.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Personally, I haven't dosed for many years.
Ha ha, I was thinking that too... (I have nothing to bring to the table, just thought that was funny).

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #5

I have a 4200 6-24x40 and it should not be doing that. I would take the scope off and check the alignment of the rings. I hope your scope tube is not bent. If it is I would be on the store to replace it then take it to a smith and have him lap the rings and mount the scope.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

- Unknown

Old 08-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys

yeah i Just realized that i have been spelling Does wrong for the last 16 years wow I is dumb

Yeah i hope somthing isnt bent or imporperly manufactured. I do remember when i fixed the level on my crosshairs (the gunsmith got them all cattywampus) there was a small gap between the bottom of the front scope ring approximately 1/32 of an inch. I am relativlr sure that my mounts are flat, no elevation.

Last edited by Hot Sauce NARC; 08-27-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
there was a small gap between the bottom of the front scope ring approximately 1/32 of an inch.
????between the bottom of the front scope ring and what? The scope? That would mean your rings are not the right size, or the scope isn't set in the rings properly. Or is the gap between the scope ring and the scope mount? In either case, it sounds like you got screwed by the gun shop you went to!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it was between the bottom of the tube and the ring, but when you put any pressure on it the gap dissapeared.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
it was between the bottom of the tube and the ring, but when you put any pressure on it the gap dissapeared.
Wouldn't that mean that when you put pressure on it, the scope was moving down? That sounds very not good, but i don't know much about optics. Have you called the shop to ask about that gap yet?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Brother, you got a world of stuff wrong with that set up.

I would agree with RL, I don't think your scope is in line with the bore of the rifle. And if your rings aren't tight, and there is ANY play what-so-ever, you would be better off just taping the scope to the rifle.

So, you got a Savage Model 12 with a 6x24 power scope. I would assume this is a hunting or target rifle? Not a tactical or competition stick, right?

First off, you need a scope base that has a built in MOA ( I like the Badger Ord ones that come with 20 MOA built right in ).

Then you need a set of rings that were designed for THAT size of scope. There shouldn't be ANY play when correctly mounted. No light or anything showing. It should be dead nuts tight, but not with crushing force.

Then, when you mount up the scope, the best piece of equipment that I can recommend is to use a Collimeter to get you right on target. It will also allow you to compare if you have any "can't" in your scope if you have aligned it correctly with the bore.

Me thinks you got screwed with this scope mount. It's entirely possible that it was done unintentionally though.

If the stock holes on the action are not dead nuts with the center of the bore, and the guy mounted your scope with two scope mounts, without the aid of a scope rail, that could be the reason he had to crank so much into the scope to get it close to want he thought was dead center.

I can never remember with so many names. Where are you located Narc?

JD