Does BSA make a worthwhile collimator?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Does BSA make a worthwhile collimator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Default Does BSA make a worthwhile collimator?

An experienced response would help greatly, but all opinions on BSA are helpful. Thank ya

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

Liked 262 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have never used boresighter in 37 years. Shot a round at 25 yards and adjust. Might take 3 to 4 rounds to be close enough for a 100 or 200 yards zero.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I now use a laser bore-sighter rather than a collimator.

I have used both and found the laser to be much more useful.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i do not like anything bsa.

mechanically zero the optic. this means elevation and windage dials are in the middle of the adjustment range.

most guns remove the bolt look down the bore at a distant object and adjust the dials until the image in the optic and the image in the bore are the same.

thats actually boresighting.

the other methods for firearms you cannot look down the bore and and other type is trial and error. you do this by mechanically zeroing and firing at 25 yards. note impact point. if it is upper left you would need to move down and right. do NOT adjust if its on paper which it should be. move out to 50 yeards fire again. if it is still on paper note impact point. as before. move out to 100 yards fire again and adjust for zero. if any shot at 50 or 100 is not on paper only adjust 5 moa elevation or windage at a time that means no more than 20 clicks for 1/4 moa optics and 10 for 1/2 moa.

if your using a canted base you will need to dial in whatever the cant is when your mechanically zeroing. so a 20 moa cant means you mechanically zero then dial in 20 moa down before trying initial sight in.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I have never used boresighter in 37 years. Shot a round at 25 yards and adjust. Might take 3 to 4 rounds to be close enough for a 100 or 200 yards zero.

I'm asking about a collimator for a specific reason.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICleanBrassWithJager View Post
I'm asking about a collimator for a specific reason.
can ya share it?? you cannot zero a firearm with a collimeter. normally cant even get on paper with one. im convinced boresighters and collimeters are a complete waste of money. i see it all the time at the range i attend.

LOTS of peeps come in with new deer guns august-october with scopes collimetered and maybe 2 in 10 are on paper at 100.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-26-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
can ya share it?? you cannot zero a firearm with a collimeter. normally cant even get on paper with one. im convinced boresighters and collimeters are a complete waste of money. i see it all the time at the range i attend.

LOTS of peeps come in with new deer guns august-october with scopes collimetered and maybe 2 in 10 are on paper at 100.

I'm looking for a good laser/sight attachment for bore sighting scopes. I don't feel the need to share more than that because of the immense internet criticism that is sure to come.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICleanBrassWithJager View Post
I'm looking for a good laser/sight attachment for bore sighting scopes. I don't feel the need to share more than that because of the immense internet criticism that is sure to come.
not a problem.

if you feel you need one, get a cheap one. the pricey ones do not perform any better than the cheap ones. ive had a few of em over the years and looking at other experiences is why i hold the opinion i do.

if your going to use one the best chance for success is to be sure the reticle is level with the base or receiver first. if the scope isnt leveled to the rifle (reason why a good portion of bore sighters have issues) you will never ever get on paper with one.

making sure the scope is installed correctly triples your chances to get a collimeter to work.

next issue with them is putting the bushings in the bore square. collimeters work best with microgroove rifling and worst with rifling you find in 1903a3 2 groove and some garand barrels. the more groves and lands the better a collimeter works.

next issue is worn muzzles where there is erosion from lots of shooting and cleaning cycles.

next issue not all bores are the same across same caliber, some rifling machines and techniques will have the muzzle a little wider than others.

i wish ya luck with it

Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the one i bought a few years ago is the Bushnell Magnetic Boresighter. it doesn't rely upon different or adjustable spuds that go into the bore. it simply attaches using a magnet. i bought this one because it would work on my Savage rifle in 17 HMR. most 17 caliber spuds are .177 which is the size of most pellet and airgun bores, but the 17 HMR uses a bore of .172, so the supplied spuds for a 17 caliber won't work.

as JonM mentioned and i agree, the first step is the make sure the scope reticle is level first. unless it's level, no boresighter is going to work properly, regardless of it's type or how much it costs.

when i mount a scope, the first step is the stabilize and secure the rifle in some sort of vise or fixture and level the action first. then you can level the scope. alternate tightening the screws and watch your level. use a torque wrench or torque screwdriver to obtain the proper torque on the screws. (you can find these specs usually from the manufacturer of the rings and bases) watch the level as tightening on one side more than the other, will cant the scope from one side or the other.

when i mount the boresighter on my rifle, i measure for the centerline of the scope and the bottom of the scope to the action or barrel and divide this in half and that gives me the approximate measurement of where to place the boresighter on the barrel. i then just line up the crosshairs of the reticle with the crosshairs of the boresighter.

so far i have had really good luck with the Bushnell boresighting tool and so far, it's been no more than about 6-8" off the bulleye at 100 yards.

Chuck Hawks does a review on the same one i have. it's not expensive either. i paid less than $45 for mine a few years ago. i don't know if it will suit your specific needs, but check it out and see.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bushnell_magnetic_bore_sighter.htm

Old 07-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

Default Does BSA make a worthwhile collimator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the one i bought a few years ago is the Bushnell Magnetic Boresighter. it doesn't rely upon different or adjustable spuds that go into the bore. it simply attaches using a magnet. i bought this one because it would work on my Savage rifle in 17 HMR. most 17 caliber spuds are .177 which is the size of most pellet and airgun bores, but the 17 HMR uses a bore of .172, so the supplied spuds for a 17 caliber won't work.

as JonM mentioned and i agree, the first step is the make sure the scope reticle is level first. unless it's level, no boresighter is going to work properly, regardless of it's type or how much it costs.

when i mount a scope, the first step is the stabilize and secure the rifle in some sort of vise or fixture and level the action first. then you can level the scope. alternate tightening the screws and watch your level. use a torque wrench or torque screwdriver to obtain the proper torque on the screws. (you can find these specs usually from the manufacturer of the rings and bases) watch the level as tightening on one side more than the other, will cant the scope from one side or the other.

when i mount the boresighter on my rifle, i measure for the centerline of the scope and the bottom of the scope to the action or barrel and divide this in half and that gives me the approximate measurement of where to place the boresighter on the barrel. i then just line up the crosshairs of the reticle with the crosshairs of the boresighter.

so far i have had really good luck with the Bushnell boresighting tool and so far, it's been no more than about 6-8" off the bulleye at 100 yards.

Chuck Hawks does a review on the same one i have. it's not expensive either. i paid less than $45 for mine a few years ago. i don't know if it will suit your specific needs, but check it out and see.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bushnell_magnetic_bore_sighter.htm

The Bushnell magnetic boresighter has come up several times now, to me. Would You be able to provide me with a picture of the sight picture? Also, if no spuds, how does it attach to different caliber bores?

Last edited by ICleanBrassWithJager; 07-27-2014 at 07:34 AM.