Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Does anyone know what RPG is?

View Poll Results: Has anyone shot RPG using night vision?
Yes 2 8.70%
No 15 65.22%
What is RPG? 1 4.35%
Go to hell !!! 5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

[QUOTE="WebleyFosbery38;1176194"]Does Russia still use the Sagger and Spigot Missile systems? I think the Spiggot had Night vision additional capabilities, dont know about Sager. Probably our version of the RPG would be the M 203, not as much boom but much more portable.

Not the 203, actually M320 now, closest thing we carry to an RPG would be an AT4, LAW, or a SMAW. All are squad/platoon level shoulder fired rockets of various sizes and capabilities.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #72

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Does Russia still use the Sagger and Spigot Missile systems? I think the Spiggot had Night vision additional capabilities, dont know about Sager. Probably our version of the RPG would be the M 203, not as much boom but much more portable. We had 2 Mark 19's in the Platoon and they were purely Rock and Roll! Such a fun weapon to fire, wipe out a football field in about 4 well placed shots. Two of them reporting with 3 to 4 round bursts at night was about as good as it gets, add the 50 cals on the the other 2 Gunships and we were hell on wheels.

All of our heavy weapons had great night vision and every team member but Gunners had ANPVS7A's so we were pretty good with night operations. Actually, the NV Sight is the Primary sight on the TOW night or day. The imaging was awesome, we often did recruitment gigs at Fairs and Malls and set up equipment for all the kids to play with. We knew how to dial in the thermals so that thin clothing on the pretty ladies all but disappeared. you cant imagine what just a degree or two difference in body temperature from one part to another looks like in a $50,000 Thermal image! Sweet!
No way!!! Did I just understand you right?????? With thermals you could see what was beneath women`s skirts???

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #73
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

With LIGHTWEIGHT clothing- yes, a passive thermal sight is picking up the heat radiated by the body. Body is slightly warmer than the clothing. Does not work for a heavy coat, but CAN work for a T-shirt, if you adjust sensitivity just right.

It is what allows gunner to "see" an armored vehicle sitting beyond a screen of leaves and vines. The hot engine shows up thru the leaves.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #74

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Ok.. now I get it! Then it is not for shooting.. I searched for Sager and Spigot in the dictionary.. There`s no translation or I never heard of them unfurtunalely

Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 187 Times on 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian
Ok.. now I get it! Then it is not for shooting.. I searched for Sager and Spigot in the dictionary.. There`s no translation or I never heard of them unfurtunalely
Google "sager thermal sight", or "spigot thermal sight". Both come up, result in pages with complete tech specs.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #76
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Max- NATO had code names for weapon systems of the Warsaw Pact nations. Fighter aircraft- names all began with an F. Flogger, Flashlight. Bombers began with a B- like Bear. Rocket weapons began with an S- Scud, Sagger, Spigot, etc.

The anti-tank rocket he was asking about- "Sagger", to you would be Малютка.

People Like This 
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #77
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2717 Posts
Likes Given: 5838

Boy C3, I would never get that name right, I dont think I have the fonts to write Russian if I could speak it! You sir have a number of interesting talents and trades! Field days were the best for thermals, hot days, hot woman and the newer thermals at that time had some great filters for honing the image. Just like terrain features on a map, hills, valleys, built up areas, all gave a little different heat signature.

Im sure the Bradley's sights must be fine, we were light and certainly didnt have any armor or scaled up features. I actually started out TOWS on a M151A2 Jeep platform in 1985. That was a hoot; launcher, Tripod, Sights, Batteries, missiles, equipment, food and people all on 2 jeeps per squad, loaded down like a tank. It was damn maneuverable but extremely cold in the dead of winter running the tank paths in Fort Drum mid January. When we got the Hummers, we thought we had died and gone to heaven, real roofs, a turret, a place for everything and a pretty good heater, they just didnt turn well in the woods.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #78
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Yes, but my grammar is horrible.

You want fun? 106 Reckless Rifle mounted on the m151A1C 1/4 ton. The suspension on those was dangerous if you drove more than 5 mph with the tube and ammo off the jeep- wheels folded under.

Here is the one I always wanted-

38a1d_13.jpg

A Davy Crockett- mounted on an M38.

Maximilian Likes This 
Old 03-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #79

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I know about Ft Drum, I started my career there in 2005 and spent a few years in 1-87 IN as a M240 gunner before heading to Ft Stewart.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #80
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2717 Posts
Likes Given: 5838

Love the "Rifle" C3, those are just plain scary looking. Funny thing is they arent banned by NY laws, they ere a single shot rifle with no military accessories except that the military invented it!

11B, After 4 years regular, i joined the National Guard. We trained in Camp Drum and Ft drum heavily from 1984 to 2001. I live just an hour south of there and our unit got reorged from MP's to 10th Mountain Round-off, 27th Bde Inf when Washington underfunded the rebuild and staffing of the fort. Back in the early days, the ww2 sticks billets were heated by coal stoves and the tank paths were poorly maintained. The ranges sucked and the facilities were more like boyscout camp than an Army Fort. I was National Guard but we trained to 10th Mt/ Army standards and went force on force against them often, often we kicked their asses (Said with respect). I had 10 mt evaluators refuse to ride in our vehicles cause they said our drivers/ crews were too crazy (most were country bumpkins). The only time we wrecked a vehicle was once coming out of the field and some idiot had a young troopie pulling a fully loaded trailer, he flipped it; nobody hurt but the equipment was pretty phucked up.

I cant say I miss Ft Drum- lousy food, giant racoons, nasty weather, terrible hours, sleeping in my PU truck, if I got any sleep (PSG Rights!) and got paid like shi* to do it but if I make it to 62, I will get a wahoo retirement of about 1/4 of RA retirement pay. I do miss the guys and all the big guns, missiles and other things that blow up...

Newest Threads