Does anyone know what RPG is? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Does anyone know what RPG is?

View Poll Results: Has anyone shot RPG using night vision?
Yes 2 8.70%
No 15 65.22%
What is RPG? 1 4.35%
Go to hell !!! 5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #61
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9149 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

The RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) is a direct fire weapon (man portable, shoulder fired) max range about 980 meters.

The truck mounted system is artillery. Rockets are aimed, not guided. Range about 18 kilometers, depending on exact rocket. These are NOT precision guided weapons.

And do not be so sure about precison guidance systems in all US weapons. The M270 MLRS is also an artillery type weapon. While there ARE guided munitions avalable NOW, that system was what we called the "Grid Square Removal System" and "Division Commander's Own Shotgun". Also called "left one zip code, drop one map sheet, fire for effect".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #62

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
Interesting. Over here you can walk into a store and buy any pistol, shotgun, or semi-auto rifle you want... Provided you pass the background check, which is done over the phone while you wait, and takes like 5 minutes. Pass that and it's pay and walk out with your gun. If you pay big money and pass more checks and jump through more government hoops it is possible to own full auto guns. That's why we have so many.
Yeah... I know that.. But I hear Obama wants to put up the shutters ( i mean put a ban on free weapon)..

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #63

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Are the rockets fired off those trucks 'smart' (meaning guided) at all? Meaning you are controlling where the land? Or do you just set the elevation and they rain down all over around the intended area? I don't think the US has weapons that aren't smart anymore. We try to limit collateral damage. One, it saves money on ordnance since you can be precise and two, the news media has less of a chance to show pictures of dead women and children because the ordnance landed indiscriminately.
Of course! They have a special gun layer( firing pointer) that precisely directs the fire.. one missile covers I don`t remember exactly 10,000 square meters.. it would be silly to fire haotically...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #64

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44 View Post
Thanks for all the info, max and welcome to the forum.
Thank you!!!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #65

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I understand that about TOWs and RPGs but what about the truck mounted rockets? Are those referred to as "RPGs" as well? I always thought the RPG was a man-portable shoulder-fired device. A truck mounted rocket probably has a different name, doesn't it? Or maybe it doesn't, heck, what do I know. Educate me.
Yes! You are right about RPGs ! We just switched from the topic of RPG and night vision to ordnance..)))

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #66

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Getting back to the topic of night vision used with RPG.. I'm a marine corps former staff sergeant and I shot RPG while having joint excercise in the Black sea... We used clip-on systems on our day-time scopes.. they're adjusded real quick .. wouldn't that be more practical to use them instead of the Armasight Nemesis?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #67

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Well... I`m not responsible for making decissions about what nv we use.. it is higher ranks and other deparments that do it. but I know about clip-on systems.. I had a talk with guys.. RPG is unhandy as it is and they say it adds a lot of extra bulk to it, which would make it even more unhandy.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #68
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6324 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 6805

Does Russia still use the Sagger and Spigot Missile systems? I think the Spiggot had Night vision additional capabilities, dont know about Sager. Probably our version of the RPG would be the M 203, not as much boom but much more portable. We had 2 Mark 19's in the Platoon and they were purely Rock and Roll! Such a fun weapon to fire, wipe out a football field in about 4 well placed shots. Two of them reporting with 3 to 4 round bursts at night was about as good as it gets, add the 50 cals on the the other 2 Gunships and we were hell on wheels.

All of our heavy weapons had great night vision and every team member but Gunners had ANPVS7A's so we were pretty good with night operations. Actually, the NV Sight is the Primary sight on the TOW night or day. The imaging was awesome, we often did recruitment gigs at Fairs and Malls and set up equipment for all the kids to play with. We knew how to dial in the thermals so that thin clothing on the pretty ladies all but disappeared. you cant imagine what just a degree or two difference in body temperature from one part to another looks like in a $50,000 Thermal image! Sweet!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #69

Pretty sure this is correct, the modern day version of the bazooka!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #70

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
We knew how to dial in the thermals so that thin clothing on the pretty ladies all but disappeared. you cant imagine what just a degree or two difference in body temperature from one part to another looks like in a $50,000 Thermal image! Sweet!
Yeah we still do that, with the bradley mostly tho. Its got a much better sight than the ITAS for the TOW