Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Does anyone know what RPG is? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/does-anyone-know-what-rpg-85892/)

Maximilian 03-06-2013 01:06 PM

Does anyone know what RPG is?

1 Attachment(s)
Next 3 months I`m going to be training froshes how to shoot RPGs( I attached my photo with it) Every friday we have night shooting in which the targets were always lightened with burning wood shreddings in a zinc box. Now the question arose about using night vision rifle scopes which is pretty unusual for russian infantry forces. The tender was won by the Armasight Nemesis 6x SD Gen 2 ... either because of the quality or the price I don`t know.. I`ve looked through other similar russian companies and sites..why not buy domestic products? seems like no difference.. What do you guys think about this nv scope? has anyone ever tried it?

JonM 03-06-2013 03:59 PM

We dont have access to most russian optics here in the states. The only good source we have is a company called kalinka optics.

Our glorious leader doesnt think we are trustworthy enough to have access to russian gear.

I do wish i had an rpg with a warehouse full of the little firecrackers for it....

CA357 03-06-2013 04:09 PM

I'm sorry I can't help, but welcome.

chuckusaret 03-06-2013 04:34 PM

I have no idea as to why they selected the Armasight but I would guess because it has proven to be a very good scope and is readily available off the shelf for about $1,500.

c3shooter 03-06-2013 04:34 PM

As said, here in the States, no access ro Russian optics. HAVE fired enough RPGs to know the strange manner that they are affected by wind- but no NV systems. Sorry....:o

Maximilian 03-07-2013 06:57 AM

Yeah.. for sure.. no rifle scope helps if there`s a wind. it can blow your shell( or how is it more correctly to say?) 10 feet away..

c3shooter 03-07-2013 11:34 AM

Max- was reffering to the rocket turning INTO the wind. Wind blowing left to right, rocket goes LEFT of aim point. Just curious- do you use a training/practice round with an inert warhead, or are you using the live round for training?

Maximilian 03-07-2013 11:58 AM

Yes. That`s right! Thank you. They are inert if you mean the filling is blank. I dont know how to explain this in English. They are not those used in war.. just training rockets but they blow up an iron simulation tank in pieces. I`ll check on the net if you have any analogs of RPG in US.

Maximilian 03-07-2013 12:24 PM

Google gives nothing but RPG PC games

c3shooter 03-07-2013 04:26 PM

Max- we use a couple of anti-armor rockets- they are single use/ disposable launcher- the M72 LAW, and the AT-4. Years back we did use a 3.5 inch rocket launcher. Most of our heavy duty anti armor role has gone over to the FGM148 Javelin missle, which replaced the M47 Dragon missle.

The M72 has a subcaliber launcher used for training purposes- instead of a 66 mm rocket with a shaped charge warhead, the subcaliber trainer uses a 30mm rocket, warhead that makes a BANG and puff of smoke on impact.

Unfortunately, when you search the term RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) you will also bring up the very popular Role Playing Games (also called RPGs)