Do I have the only Win 94AE without a ramped front sight ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Do I have the only Win 94AE without a ramped front sight ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Default Do I have the only Win 94AE without a ramped front sight ?

I keep looking all over the internet for info and all I keep reading about is ramped 94AE .

My problem is after having the scope on there for a while now I dont like it . I want to go back to the standard sights. I didnt really like the peep sight as my sight eye is still pretty solid BUT my front blade sight is kinda loose. It doesnt flop around in the dove tail slot but if I press hard enough with bare thumb I can cant the sight left or right . NOT COOL .

So I been trying to find a fire sight or really ANY FO front sight . Problem is theyre all ramped and I dont want to grind on my dear old winnie not to mention my skills are probly not up to the task and I dont have dough to pay a smith right now.

So has anyone replaced the front sight before? I've also seen people saying looking down the barrel you drift the front sight from left to right AND right to left. Anyone know which it really is and I mean you're a smith and you KNOW the answer?

I'd like to do this myself if possible but I dont wanna bork the dove tail slot . So if anyone knows where I can find a sight I wont have to take a dremel to my rifle to fit and what the real drift direction is pleaaase lemme know !

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i don't know if this helps, but here is a picture of mine and it's not ramped either.

winchester-94-front-sight-001.jpg   winchester-94-front-sight-002.jpg  

Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i don't know if this helps, but here is a picture of mine and it's not ramped either.
Exactly , that's my point . Only information I can find regarding the 94 angle eject is about ramped front sights. I don't get it .

Oh well holding for some info on this sight .

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-20-2014, 04:11 AM   #4

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Not really sure what you're asking. Do you want to remove the Front Sight to replace it with another? It will drift out either side for removal. Take a Flat Tip Punch and hit Base of Sight once Barrel of Rifle is secured to keep from rolling while striking Sight. Found that 2 People works best. One holding Rifle and one to knock out Sight.

If you're shooting at Target and it's hitting left or right of Bullseye, then the Front sight is drifted very slightly, the opposite way to correct. If out in Field, I've corrected Sights by putting Barrel up against a Tree and tapped heavily with a Flat Tip Punch/Hammer to move, then reshot to get on Target. Repeat if necessary.

I know this isn't the Gun Smith way of adjusting a Front Sight correctly, but Down-Home Gun Smiths use whatever sources they got available to get the job done, and 99% of the time, they don't tear up their Guns, and usually these Guys know enough about Guns that, that's who you take your Gun to to save money. However if you want to do it correctly, Brownell's, MidwayUSA and other Gun Accessory Stores have a correct Sight Tool that do adjustments.

Have you been the only owner of this Rifle? It sounds like you got used, and somebody replaced the Sight with an incorrect model and it doesn't fit the Dove Tail accurately.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Sights set in dove tails can only be removed from one side. The sight base will be larger on one side than the other. Use a brass punch and hammer to move the sight from the small end. When sighting in iron sights the front sight should be centered and adjust the rear. The rear sight is moved to the direction you want to correct the point of Impact "POI'.
If the rear sight can not correct the POI move the front sight in reverse to the POI. I.E. In order to correct the bullet shooting to the right the front sight will be moved to the right.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Sights set in dove tails can only be removed from one side. The sight base will be larger on one side than the other. Use a brass punch and hammer to move the sight from the small end. When sighting in iron sights the front sight should be centered and adjust the rear. The rear sight is moved to the direction you want to correct the point of Impact "POI'.
If the rear sight can not correct the POI move the front sight in reverse to the POI. I.E. In order to correct the bullet shooting to the right the front sight will be moved to the right.
Thats the whole problem . I don't know which direction to drift to. And I've seen people say both directions on the interwebs.

And use the rifle is used and Im thinking this could be an incorrec sight cause it doesnt look like the one pictured above . That one looks flush with the dovetail seat and mine isnt .

Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

OK, Someone has installed an incorrect sight into a Winchester dove tail. There are many types of dove tails and sights. I sounds like your is not properly matched. Take a caliper and measure each side of the sight base. Drive the sight out by tapping the small side.