Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > DIY scope mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

JonM, LOL. Except I am already used to getting that look from everybody, hea.

TreeHugger... I hear ya.

Down to it... I'm actually a half way decent mechanic I suppose, and haven't snapped a bolt off, probably in over 25 years. I guess I'm just thinking I could get the scope set up better from someone who does that kind of stuff for a living.

Here's what it probably comes down to; The answer to the following question... When you guys mount a scope, do you generally find yourself going back and adjusting the eye relief a couple of times or more to really get it dialed in? Or is it usually spot on the first time? If the norm is to go back and adjust it a few times, then I might as well mount the thing myself since I will have to loosen it back up anyway, right? Thinking way back to my other rifle, I think it took me a few attempts to get it the way I wanted it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I work at a lgs and install scopes quite often. The way I get the eye relief corrects install the bottom half of the rings then set on the scope. Then put the top half on and insert the screws but keeping the rings very loose. Adjust the scope to where I think the relief should be then have the customer shoulder it and see if any tweaking is necessary. After that I level the reticle (eyeball) and tighten her down in a crisscross pattern. Sometimes the scope will turn in the rings as you are tightening and throw your reticle off so go very slowly while tightening (one screw 3 turns of the screwdriver then the next).

Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimActual View Post
JonM, LOL. Except I am already used to getting that look from everybody, hea.

TreeHugger... I hear ya.

Down to it... I'm actually a half way decent mechanic I suppose, and haven't snapped a bolt off, probably in over 25 years. I guess I'm just thinking I could get the scope set up better from someone who does that kind of stuff for a living.

Here's what it probably comes down to; The answer to the following question... When you guys mount a scope, do you generally find yourself going back and adjusting the eye relief a couple of times or more to really get it dialed in? Or is it usually spot on the first time? If the norm is to go back and adjust it a few times, then I might as well mount the thing myself since I will have to loosen it back up anyway, right? Thinking way back to my other rifle, I think it took me a few attempts to get it the way I wanted it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
The key in finding the proper eye relief is to mount the rifle with your eyes closed - being sure you find the sweet spot that feels right, and being able to duplicate that spot every time you bring the rifle up.

Place the scope in the rings with enough friction to keep it from easily moving and when you can mount the rifle eyes closed, open them and not have to adjust your cheek weld to obtain the proper scope picture, then you've found the eye relief. Make small adjustments in scope position until you find that spot.

Now you can plumb the reticle and tighten down the rings according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Once done, you shouldn't have to repeatedly mess with it again.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #14

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I actually watched a video on-line about the eyes closed technique. That one stuck in my mind, and is the best idea in the history of mankind. Well, maybe just short of that.

I think I'll just mount it up for eye relief and go from there. If I feel good about it I'll continue on. I'll be careful not to over tighten, then if I find it coming loose ill get a torque wrench. I'm confident that I won't snap off a screw. In fact, that's my biggest pet peeve when I work on a car where a gorilla worked on it before me.

If this thread isn't buried by then I'll reply and let ya'all know how it went. I'm mounting the scope onto a Savage Arms model 10 BA. Which I bought after saving up for a year. Now I figure I can just buy ammo instead of retiring some day. :-)

Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #15

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Sweet can't wait to see pics when it's mounted and ready here's a pick of my baby a mossberg atr 100 in 270 win with a 3-9x40 bushnell dusk and down

image-2494959552.jpg   image-1098923300.jpg  

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #16

Gearhead, I'll get some pics up once I get it back and put together. I never had a Mossberg, but I used to have a 396!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #17

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Very nice was it a second gen chevelle ss ? My all time favorite car . The pic in my avatar is under the hood of a second gen ss but the motor is a 402.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #18

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Another thing ... To check how straight your mounting was, zero your scope, then dial like 10 minutes of elevation in. Next time you shoot, the grouping should be perfectly vertical with your first group.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #19

hoovco, that's very smart. I'll keep that in mind. Gearhead, mine was a 66' Caprice, dark primer gray, black vinyl top, TurboHydro 400, Holley 650, factory gauge pack on center console, and Monte Carlo highback swivel bucket seats. And me, 17 years old in 1974. Life was good.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #20

If anyone cares to comment on this...

I bought my scope with the NP-R2 reticle. The application being long range target shooting and rock shooting out in the desert.

I will most likely be using the scope to range my (known size) metal targets, perhaps even after some day being able to afford a range finder.

For fifty bucks Nightforce will change out a reticle, and I admit I didn't do a lot of research on reticles prior to the purchase, but the NP-R2 seemed reasonable for my application.

Just curious as to if you guys think I made the right choice. Options for my scope (8x32 56mm) are as follows:
NP-1RR, NP-R2, NP-2DD, and MIL-DOT.

Thanks for any opinion you may have.

Tim