DIY scope mounting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > DIY scope mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default DIY scope mounting

Opinion on DIY, or having it professionally done. My concern is the ocular distance setting being off from one person to the next, and myself not having a inch pound torque wrench. Nightforce benchrest 8-32x56. Thanks for your thoughts.
T.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I've done it myself and it worked ok but it didn't feel totally right. I took it to my lgs and had them mount a new scope and sight it for 60 buck its now dead on id say if your a first timer with scopes like me id get a pro to do it.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Yeah, I'm thinking that way. I guess my concern is about parallax. But since the scope has that adjustment I imagine that shouldn't be a concern when having a 3rd party set it up?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, at least determine what eye relief works for you so that whoever does the mounting can set the scope in the appropriate spot.

There are numerous YouTube videos on doing it yourself, and it can be done without a torque wrench.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

That's pretty much where I'm at. I was going to assemble it snug, then take it to the shop that way.

That's going to be delayed a bit as I have to send my "new" rifle to the factory. Turns out the outfitter i bought it from sent me a used rifle with a screw broke off in the rifle's scope mount assembly and dirty action. (&*&@$). Savage Arms is paying for me to ship it to them so they can look at it. Pretty cool on Savage's part, not so cool on the place I bought it from, which was out of state.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

My first couple of scopes were gunsmith mounted.

After watching the smith do it, I mounted one on a .22 and it worked well, although it took a bit of effort to get the crosshairs level and the eye relief right. For the last 40 years, I've done my own.

A scope like a Nighforce deserves a gunsmith unless you've already done several, and learned how to get it right the first try.

Winston Churchill
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #7

Hi locutus,
Yes, I agree. The last thing I want to do is crush my new scope. I mounted a Colt 4x scope on my CAR-15 about twenty some years ago and haven't had to touch it since other than elevation. But this one's in a different league. I've been saving for like a year to get this setup, so it's important to me to do everything right. I love my 15, it's great, but anymore all I do with it is see how far out I can hit something. So I thought I'd get something I can grow into and get serious about the sport. Hunting is not really my thing, guess I grew up in the wrong state, but I love hitting targets way out there and I'm not half bad at it. Meaning I'm only half good at it, hea. But I'm seeing some really fun times ahead. Going to have to brush up on the math it looks like. Just have to wait for my rifle to come back. It's torture waiting this long. Ten days was bad enough, but I never expected this to happen.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #8

I have always done my own scope mounting, and I've always found it easy to do. But, because I only shoot bolt actions and single shots, bore sighting is a breeze. Just remove the bolt, look down the bore at the target, align the reticles w/ the bore and shoot. It should be somewhere on the paper. Then, fine tune the POI to where you want it. As far as actually mounting the scope on the rifle, just go about it slowly and tighten up the screws in a criss cross pattern until they are very snug without over tightening.
ct

Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Diy it. Gotta start somewhere. Ifyou got the moola for a nightforce br do it a favor and spring for a wheeler fat wrench. They arent that pricey.

Your average "professional" smith will prolly look at you like you asked him to hump your grandma if you ask him about inch pound torquing scope rings or using bubble levels to properly align it to the reciever.

Its not hard and following the directions nightforce sends on torque levels while using a fat wrench you arent going to hurt anything.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Midway USA has their "Fat Wrench" on sale through March.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver

I have one, and it seems to perform OK, but I have read reviews on the internet (so it has to be true!) that their accuracy was not that great...

hence, my comment above that a torque wrench isn't really a necessity. The proper fitting bit or screwdriver, following the directions, judicious torquing, and some Loctite® and you should be good to go.

I have used the bubble levels to which JonM refers, and, while seemingly helpful, I'm not sure I can't get the reticle plumb just as well by eyeballing it.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation