Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Devil Dog Seeking specific advice on mount and rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

I might be off the mark because I have a howa and it could be different. However I suggest avoiding a full rail. It can get in the way of an ejecting cartridge and makes cleaning and inspecting the chamber more difficult.

I think you will be happiest buying locally so you can try before you buy and see how different height mounts may affect your cccling of the action and ability to easily access the chamber.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I might be off the mark because I have a howa and it could be different. However I suggest avoiding a full rail. It can get in the way of an ejecting cartridge and makes cleaning and inspecting the chamber more difficult.

How is a top mounted rail with CANT causing problems with your cleaning??

Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Welcome from Australia Andy!

I have a set of matching Leupold rings and bases on my .223 Vanguard and they have served me well. I have a two piece base set, however with the long action that you have, a one-piece base may add some extra rigidity and accuracy to your set-up. No doubt there will be others along shortly to help you out and give you some other options.

I hope you enjoy your stay here
These are my favorite mounts and rings for my hunting rifles. Since you have picked a 50 mm objective, you will need the "high" rings for the scope to clear the barrel.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #14

Good news gents, purchased everything today; went with Leopold two piece bases and rings. Picking her up the 9th, pictures to come.

Once again, thank you for all your help guys

Cpl/USMC
Semper Fi Til I Die

Old 06-26-2011, 03:12 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

How is a top mounted rail with CANT causing problems with your cleaning??
The Picatinny rail in the post before mine seems to fit directly above the chamber. It can make it more difficult to get a cleaning pad into the chamber, you can still easily clean it with a brush from where the bolt enters but to get into the nooks and crannies it can be more difficult than 2 separate rails. Even the scope itself on my setup makes it more difficult to get a cleaning pad into some areas of the chamber.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #16

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I'll chime in a little late. A 50mm front has a big bell, making for a very high scope. Not really user freindly. As far as bases, Burris makes a heavier set of bases and rings for less $$. Your rifle choice is VG, but made by Howa, which again would have saved $$.
Howa 1500 HB M&P in .308 w/ a 3-12x42mmAO sightron SII, now the big sky.

BTW, I hate the word Tactical!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 06-30-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #17

Hey Marine, also did some time with the 5th, in the big number one 1st Divison. Training Individual and Advanced Combat just north of the 5th. Many years back a BAR man until serving as a scout/sniper,with recon
Nov.57 to Nov65. Can't go wrong with old Redfield single piece mount with added windage adjustment in the rear ring base. Very sturdy and used in the Corps on both 03A4 and the Winchester Model 70 I was issued. Both of these sniper rifles were in the 30-06 caliber, but might wear one of a half a dozen different scopes. In those days scopes were not as sturdy, and fogging on many bothersome. Most trouble free scopes for me was the Lyman Alaska and a Redfield fixed 10 X. The Alaska was a lesser magnification, I think 2.5 or 3X. However, the higher magnification just gave a little more clarity. Semper Fi my brother, and good luck with your choice of firearm.

Last edited by Oohrah; 07-27-2011 at 05:30 AM.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #18

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

O.K. like JD said and I concour to use Badger Ordance rings and their +20moa picatinny base. Definately use a one piece base for the long distance stuff.

I use a Premiere Reticles 5-25X56mm scope for my 1000 yard rig and the Badger Ordance Rings I use are 1-1/4" high. You should be able to use a tad shorter rings with your 50mm objective.

I'd call Badger Ordance tech department and they should guide you to the proper set of scope rings and +20 moa base for your particular scope and rifle. They're real nice folks to deal with.

I'm using the McCanns Industires +20 moa Picatinny scope mount and will be using the Badger Ordance mount on my new switch barrel 1000 yard rifle.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-27-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #19

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyhpuV
Good news gents, purchased everything today; went with Leopold two piece bases and rings. Picking her up the 9th, pictures to come.

Once again, thank you for all your help guys
Too late guys