Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Devil Dog Seeking specific advice on mount and rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Devil Dog Seeking specific advice on mount and rings

First post, a bit about myself; Im a Corporal in the Marine Corps with 5th Marines in Camp Pendleton, CA. Having said that Im no stranger to shooting (3rd award expert), but I have never owned a Rifle (though I do have a pistol;Glock 17).

I have chosen a Rifle: Weatherby Vanguard synthetic, 30-06 (the 5+1):
Synthetic | Weatherby.com

And I have also chosen a scope: Blackhawk 1" Tactical (the 3.5-10x50)
Cabela's: Blackhawk!® 1" Tactical Riflescopes

I want versatility out of this setup, by which I mean, I want to have the ability to go hunting, as well as long distance shooting (thus the reason for the 3.5-10 mildot)

Here is where you gentlemen (and ladies?) come in, if you will;
I would like some help in choosing the proper mount and rings for this rifle and scope. Im looking for quality equipment here, so price really is not an issue (say 150-250 for both? But i will pay more if your advice tells me so)

If I wasnt clear on something let me know and I will further explain.

Thank you all very much in advance, I look forward to the knowledge.

Cpl/USMC
Semper Fi Til I Die

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Welcome from Australia Andy!

I have a set of matching Leupold rings and bases on my .223 Vanguard and they have served me well. I have a two piece base set, however with the long action that you have, a one-piece base may add some extra rigidity and accuracy to your set-up. No doubt there will be others along shortly to help you out and give you some other options.

I hope you enjoy your stay here

Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum Marine! Thank you for your service and *respect* to you from the House of JD. Stay safe and keep the Valkyries guessing your scent.

You picked a nice rifle, I don't know much about your scope choice, I have to be honest. But I love a good boltgun platform and The Weatherby Vanguard is the same as the Howa 1500, which is an EXCELLENT action and .30-06 is, of course, THE RIFLEMAN'S CALIBER, so you made a great choice in my mind.

They are not cheap, they are not common and they are not your Dad's scope and base.....

Badger Ordnance makes some excellent quality scopes and their 20MOA Scope Base is what I have on Mjolnir.

There are other options, but Badger Ord will give you 110% of what you pay for and it will DEFINITELY take care of you, no matter what "field" you are in.

JD

Old 06-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum Andy and thank you for your service!
Swing by the Introductions section when you get a chance so the rest of the forum can say "Hi"

I really like the EGW mounts I've used, well made and rock solid IMHO
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style Base Howa, Weatherby Vanguard Matte Long Action - MidwayUSA $59.99
Those will allow you to use quality fixed rings like
Leupold 1" PRW (Permanent Weaver-Style) Rings Matte Medium - MidwayUSA $43.99
or set your scopes in quick detachable rings like Leupold 1" QRW Quick-Release Weaver-Style Rings Matte Medium - MidwayUSA $54.99 if you have multiple scopes and wish to switch from one scope setup to another for target/hunting and back with basically no loss of zero

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #5

Solid info gents. Links and prices much much appreciated.

looks like im going to be doing some comparison work.

Cpl/USMC
Semper Fi Til I Die

Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community Andy and thank you for your service.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #7

Looking at the Badger ord. site, few questions;

1) how do I know which mm rings (30, 34, etc) to get for the scope im buying?

2)as far as height, is it personal preference or is there a functional aspect to getting say high rings over standard size?

Cpl/USMC
Semper Fi Til I Die

Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyhpuV View Post
Looking at the Badger ord. site, few questions;

1) how do I know which mm rings (30, 34, etc) to get for the scope im buying?

2)as far as height, is it personal preference or is there a functional aspect to getting say high rings over standard size?
What is the body size of your scope? 1"? 30mm? 34mm? The rings lock to the body, so you only have to order based on the specs from your scope.

Personal preference is a rule, but a qualified gunsmith will tell you what sized you need. Talk to your armorer, he can assess what you need.

For me? I have the mid size rings. I have a bit of a high cheek weld, but I also survey the landscape with my naked eye, so I prefer an adjustable cheek piece.

On a stock stick I can get away with the low rings, but they do play havoc if you have a wide, adjustable objective when you work the bolt.

I would HIGHLY recommend you get someone who can measure how you address the rifle to make sure you get the right size rings, as I am SURE you will make the most of it.

JD

Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The scope you have chosen has a 1" diameter maintube, so your ring diameter will also be 1". Many European scopes and scopes that are used in tactical or low-light situations will have a larger diameter maintube to assist in light transmission, so will need rings that are larger in diameter.

On a hunting rifle, it is recommended to place your scope as low to the bore as possible without the objective lens actually touching the barrel. You have chosen a 50mm objective lens, so depending on the base, you may either need standard rings or high. When your line of sight is closer to the bore, reduce the amount of parallax between Point of Aim (POA) and Point of Impact (POI). This permits accurate shots at short range when hunting, while still allowing for accurate and repeatable shots at longer range.

*Damn it JD!*

Last edited by AusLach; 06-22-2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Beaten to the punch

Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
On a hunting rifle, it is recommended to place your scope as low to the bore as possible without the objective lens actually touching the barrel.
Sounds like the best thing to do would be physically trying setups until i found the perfect one, which is difficult since im going to be ordering these things online.

I might take JD's advice and drive over to my local armorer and see what he has to say about my setup.

this is a bit naive, as im using the old "since its made by the same company it must work better together" but..
Cabela's: Blackhawk Six-Hole Tactical 1-Inch Weaver Rings

insights, ideas on these rings?

im liking this for my mount, though the reviews are spotty(something about slightly short screws..):
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style Base Howa, Weatherby Vanguard Matte Long Action - MidwayUSA

thanks Gatekeeper

Cpl/USMC
Semper Fi Til I Die