Deer scope..? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Deer scope..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Ive sworn off leupolds. Havent had one that has survived more than two years other than my vx3 rimfire efr. Vx7 broken lens delamination havent sent it back for repair yet as they will fix it just too lazy to repair something that will just sit on the shelf. Mk4 3.5-15 lens delamination sold it to a buddy that didnt care he sent it back for repairs. Mk4cqb wont hold zero shelved leupold wont fix repair or replace. Im not wasting more money on leupold optics. Ive switched to trijicon nightforce nikon and vortex depending on need.
I'm new to optics, but that's the first negative stuff I've heard about leupold.
And your negative experience was with multiple scopes which starts to make me question their durability..

durability is my number one quality I'm looking for...I want a gun and a scope I can have down to my children...what would you recommend then?

Old 10-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm a fan of Weaver scopes. Own three Super Slams and a 40/44. A fair number of gents I shoot with at range on a regular basis own a Weaver, but they mostly own Grand Slams or Classic V's.

Some of the Super Slams and all the Grand Slams fit your price range. These models are made for Weaver by Light Optical Works (LOW) in Japan. LOW makes higher end scopes for Sightron, Bushnell and others. Very good quality in LOW made scopes. Both the optics and adjustments in Super Slams and Grand Slams are top notch. I'm not aware of any of my shooting buddies having a problem with their Weavers.
Take that back, one bought a Weaver Classic Extreme (not LOW of Japan made) a few months ago that had an elevation adjustment problem out of the box. Scope was quickly replaced by Natchez Shooters Supply, where he'd bought it.

Anyway, these Weavers are worth a look and www.natchezss.com might be the place to find some of the lower prices for them. Weaver has redone the line of Grand Slam scopes and Natchez has heavily discounted the old models of Grand Slams they have. Some very good buys on these model grand slams. Some close-out prices on some of the Super Slams too. Not sure its still available, but was a Weaver Rebate on some of them of $75 or $100,depending on the model. I took advantage of the rebate to get another 4-20x44 Super Slam several months ago. Received the rebate check from Weaver within 3-4wks of mailing it in.

The Grand or Super Slams are worth a look.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #23

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

From what I have seen from visiting a scope assembly area, no scope maker makes all the parts of the scopes. They just have a clean room to assemble components they buy from various vendors. I know the quality of the components can differ from brand to brand but really, how much?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
I'm new to optics, but that's the first negative stuff I've heard about leupold.
And your negative experience was with multiple scopes which starts to make me question their durability..

durability is my number one quality I'm looking for...I want a gun and a scope I can have down to my children...what would you recommend then?
See my replies in your other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
From what I have seen from visiting a scope assembly area, no scope maker makes all the parts of the scopes. They just have a clean room to assemble components they buy from various vendors. I know the quality of the components can differ from brand to brand but really, how much?
Quite a bit.

When a vendor makes a part for a customer its generally to that customer's specification. Its not like go scoop up xnumber parts we already made and box em up. Did that sort of thing as an employee of a parts vendor machine shop. One customer may say all parts must meet +-.001 tolerance and be made of y material another might say must meet +-.040 tolerance and use much cheaper z material. The tighter the tolerance the more time it takes for qc and the more waste there is so seemingly identical parts from the same vendor are probably not the same.

Its why barska is cheap junk and nightforce bring top dollar.

This doesn't mean you won't get defective product it just means its much less likely to happen. It also doesn't mean a cheaper product wont hold up its just less likely to.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Axxe55 Likes This