Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Deer scope..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Deer scope..?

Similar (but not exact) threads have covered goo scopes for deer but I wanted to start one that covers all my needs for a scope..

It will sit atop a remington 700 sps aac sd
It will be for taking deer (300 yards or less ish)
I want extreme reliability and durability
I want variable power
Price range is $500-$700

That's about it...

I'm a name brand whore so I'd prefer something that comes from a highly reputable company..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1735 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Default Holy chit...............

Check out all the sights here on fTf. Then go to venders here on fTf that sells what you're lookin for...............And don't be affeared to ask theese kind folks for feed back on said scope...........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Similar (but not exact) threads have covered goo scopes for deer but I wanted to start one that covers all my needs for a scope..

It will sit atop a remington 700 sps aac sd
It will be for taking deer (300 yards or less ish)
I want extreme reliability and durability
I want variable power
Price range is $500-$700

That's about it...

I'm a name brand whore so I'd prefer something that comes from a highly reputable company..
I would, and have done so twice, purchase a Leupold Vari X III 3.5 to 10 x 50 mm. Best light gathering scope for hunting till the last possible moment of legal shooting hours on the market in that price range.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I would, and have done so twice, purchase a Leupold Vari X III 3.5 to 10 x 50 mm. Best light gathering scope for hunting till the last possible moment of legal shooting hours on the market in that price range.
Do this or get a Ziess Conquest. Ziess has updated/replaced the Conquest line with the Tierra line and some good deals are to be had on the old Conquest models if you look around.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

2.5-10x42 power Nikon monarch 3 would be my choice. money left over for mounts. Good power range for close up shots but still enough for a good look at 300 yards. I have used a lower cost bushnell 2.5-10x40 for 36 years on a 308. on 2.5-10 40mm lenes will give you all the light you can use even in a thick wood bottom.
http://swfa.com/Nikon-Monarch-3-Riflescopes-C4957.aspx

Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #6

Do I want an illuminated reticle? Pros and cons?

BDC dial or BDC reticle? Pros and cons?

How much variable zoom would I need to comfortably shoot at 300 yards?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19835 Times on 11260 Posts
Likes Given: 49991

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Do I want an illuminated reticle? Pros and cons?

BDC dial or BDC reticle? Pros and cons?

How much variable zoom would I need to comfortably shoot at 300 yards?
the illuminated reticle will give a little advantage early in the morning and late in the evening when light levels are still low. most of the them have a dimness level control so you can use as much or little as you think you needbased on light levels.

BDCwork great if they are dialed into the cartridge and load you are shooting with your rifle. some range testing will give you an idea as to what type of drop with a particular load has with your scope and rifle set-up.

for a deer rifle, my suggestion would be from a 3-9 to maybe a 4-12 power scope. anything more at that distance, you will lose field of view and make it hard to find a deer. this where a pair of binoculars are very handy. alows a very broad range of vision to find the deer then use the scope to pinpoint it from the lower power levels, then zoom in with the scope to a higher poser if needed.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Its not the 700 dollar scope that will get you a deer. Learn to stalk, where to find game, and iron sights can do it easily. But if you want to spend money like that, what kind of terrain are you going to be hunting in?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
the illuminated reticle will give a little advantage early in the morning and late in the evening when light levels are still low. most of the them have a dimness level control so you can use as much or little as you think you needbased on light levels. BDCwork great if they are dialed into the cartridge and load you are shooting with your rifle. some range testing will give you an idea as to what type of drop with a particular load has with your scope and rifle set-up. for a deer rifle, my suggestion would be from a 3-9 to maybe a 4-12 power scope. anything more at that distance, you will lose field of view and make it hard to find a deer. this where a pair of binoculars are very handy. alows a very broad range of vision to find the deer then use the scope to pinpoint it from the lower power levels, then zoom in with the scope to a higher poser if needed.
Thank you. Very helpful.

Another question..
About how much MOA travel will be necessary for shooting no further than 500 yards with a 0 MOA scope base?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5270 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

i would recomend the trijicon accupoint in green. meets all your wants in an awesomely capable deer getter scope.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...