Clueless
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Clueless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Clueless

I am looking to buy a Howa 1500 .22 250 for my new varmit killer. It comes with a 10x50 Konus MilDot scope. Now you'll have to excuse me but I have No idea what any of that means. Is that a good reliable scope? And is it even ideal for varmit hunting? Please excuse my limited knowledge of the optics.
Thanks,
Riley

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

It means that it is a fixed 10x magnification scope with a 50mm objective lense.

Is it a good scope? I doubt it,but it may work for whatever you use it for.
Most package guns-Rifle/scope combo,use the cheapest optics that they can.

Most varmint hunters will use a 4-16x or 6-24x variable magnification scope on their rifles,but a 10x will allow you to take some long range shots,it just won't be very good for using at short range.Your field of view will be pretty small at close range.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I really like the Howa 1500 line of bolt action rifles. I have one in .308, very good shooter. All I know about Konus scopes is that they are low end.

What you wrote about the scope in question doesn't give quite enough information. A scope usually has number like 3-9X40 or something to that effect. This is a variable magnification scope that ranges from 3 times magnification to 9 times. The last number is the objective size, the end of the scope that brings in the light, measured in milimeters. A larger objective in comparable scopes will bring in more light. A larger objective in a really cheap scope may not mean very much.

Mildot is the type of reticle the scope has. It is graduated in mils for windage and elevation. They can be very useful for ranging and figuring hold-off if you become well practiced with them. I am not well practiced.
Maybe someone who knows Konus scopes will chime in. Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #4

Thank y'all very much. I love to have a place to go where people know their stuff before making a purchase. You guys are life and money savers. Appreciate all the help.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #5

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

coyote_killer3, I too have a Howa in .308. although mine is set up for elk I really like the Weaver V16 or V24. In my opinion forget the mildot. For shooting varmints at 300 it just gets in the way.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #6

I actually went with a T/C Venture Predator instead of the Howa. Im super excited for it to get here. It comes with a T/C scope, which I expect to be cheap and mass produced. Im going to use that until it gives out before I spend the money on a good scope.

Thanks,
Riley