Cheap Scopes & Red Dots
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Cheap Scopes & Red Dots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cheap Scopes & Red Dots

I'm looking or have bought several cheap scopes on Ebay or Amazon recently.

One is an Aimpoint scope clone for 44 dollars.Zos OEM M2 Red Dot .

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270728333631>

I will have to say its alot better than that blazer piece of crap I bought several years ago, with a huge fuzzy red dot. The dot on this clone is very small and precise. The glass is very clear, also.

XDOptics 10-40x50 ESF also has some scopes they claim are in use by the chinese military. The optics look very clear and bright, with a Y type of Russian style ranging recticle that looks very high quality for a 150 dollar scope. This has an illuminated recticle as well. I'm very impressed with this scope's advertisement on ebay (lol), and I', going to buy it shortly.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280652333373&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESINDXX:IT>

The last scope I'm looking at is a BSA 8-32x44 SWF, non illuminated mil dot recticle for 119. It has an attractive military euro design i find compelling enough to putting some clams down to buy it. Im wondering if any of you have seen these items for sale...I will post some links.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/BSA-8-32X44-SIDEWHL-FOCUS-Mil-Dot-Scope-SWF832X44-30-/260807936740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb95d 4ae4>

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Do not waste your money on those cheap scopes - you get what you pay for. They will break first time you shoot or soon afterwards. About the only thing they are good for is AirSoft. Good scopes are built to last.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #3

I'm going to have to disagree. Not all of us can afford 1000 dollar leupolds or even more expensive Schmidt & Bender or Karl Zeiss scopes to put on surplus rifles worth less than 500 dollars retail. I have to say that some people have more money than common sense. It isn't your fault. I asked. You answered

I should have known better.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What are you putting it on?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #5

Look at the first post to this thread. There are links to 1 red dot and two scopes .

Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. Not all of us can afford 1000 dollar leupolds or even more expensive Schmidt & Bender or Karl Zeiss scopes to put on surplus rifles worth less than 500 dollars retail. I have to say that some people have more money than common sense. It isn't your fault. I asked. You answered

I should have known better.
First of all, I guess I should have been more specific. I was referring ONLY to the $44.00 Aimpoint clone. I apologize for that. Personnaly, I have a Vortex StrikeFire bought for about $150.00. It ain't no Aimpoint or Eotec but good enough for my AR15 at the range.

Second, I feel like you are baiting me with the comment "...more money than common sense..." like I suppose if the shoe fits then I should wear it. Truth is right now I don't have the $14.00 to pay a NRA member discounted range fee!

Finally, just out of curiosity, assuming you do have common sense, suppose you were very wealthy. Would you buy that Karl Zeiss scope then?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, what are you planning to put the sighting device on, as in shotgun, SUR, small caliber target pistol...?

The larger calibers are generally going to be tougher on the cheap optics. If it is just for a .22 plinker, roll the dice.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #8

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Not all high-quality scopes and red-dot sights costs $1,000. Unless you're looking at Trijicon or Leupold. That also doesn't give you an excuse to buy a $60 optic!

Look at a Burris or a Millet type scope. They are both between the $230 - $400 mark. There are definitely more of them out there. If you enjoy your rifle, then you can at-least give a nice affordable treat you can shoot with. Not a cheap one!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #9

Look at the XD Optics Scope again. I would be willing to bet that it is at least equal to or better than a Burris scope in the same price range and on up to 400 dollars. I would be willing to bet that optical clarity is outstanding for this scope, but I wont know until I buy it next month,

I'm in the process of assembling 4 different Mauser actions.3 of the receivers are 1891 Argentine, and 1 is a GEW 88 rifle action. There isn't any need for ultra strong scopes with any of these receivers, and none of them are going to firing magnum loads with high pressures. I will be re barreling 1 in 7x57, 1 in 6.5 Swedish, and 1 in either 8x57 or 7.65 Argentine. The last action is a complete 1891 7.65 Argentine carbine, so all I need is a stock.

There wont be any butchering of surplus rifles, since none of them were complete rifles to begin with. All of these rifles are going to be assembled from parts accumulated over a long period of time. It isn't cost effective to restore any of them back into their original state, since the parts are either very expensive or not available.

Just because it's made by the Chinese doesn't mean its low quality. They have been taking western nations technology and using it very effectively for quite a while now. The quality, features, and clarity of optics are much better than they were ten years ago. The prices of everything is coming down as well. I'm not happy with the loss of manufacturing in the USA, but the net result is cheaper prices and higher quality products at the lower end of the scale. Including the optics I've chosen to try.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

ive got an izh axion holographic sight.

it was like $150 and it functions flawlessly.

that's just my experience.

ar15_drum_axion.jpg