Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I live in NC and am always ready for a road trip, I can even pick up Spiity on my way, just let us know when we can come up. So when I get my 50, can I come and shoot on your Pop's Farmland?
Think of how cool two 50's shooting together will be. I can buy a junk car to tow up there and we can destroy it. I will put it back on the Rollback after we are done shooting it, unless you wish to keep it for more target practice.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #42

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Caliber, well good for you for having no debt, for never borrowing money, or buying anything on credit!

Your young, that will definitely change in your future, trust me.

Now...who's .50 is this?

Kudos to your father for taking such a "personal" interest in "your" decision, and stepping up with some decent glass, and for giving you that 7mm mag, which BTW, makes a great deer hunting rifle, even for Elk. You can even customize your grain loads for target and distance. Hell, there will even be some usable meat left to dress out!

I too would be interested in seeing a posted pic of your "father's" finished rifle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 01-25-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Spellin

Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #43
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7627 Times on 4585 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Here is an update. My father dropped by to see the baby yesterday, and asked me about a status update on the .50 BMG. I explained that i was going to send it back and my dread of losing over $300, he stopped me near mid sentence and just blurted out "why!?" I told him my expectations were a bit off about the cost of the rifle and accessories that go with it. He was just shaking his head, at that moment i was trying to guess if it was dissapointment or disagreement?

After his silence he offerd upfront purchase a scope for me, in agreement that i would pay him back in the next 3 months, i didn't like the idea of owing anyone, i don't have any debt, everything i have i have always paid for, never used credit, or borrowed money, but he insisted, we took a stroll down to the gun shop, they were closed to normal business but luckly he knew the owner, so we stepped inside and were able to talk for an hour or so without interruptions. I wrote down the one he had orderd, Leupold Mark 4 LR 3.5-10x40mm, Matte finish, Mil Dot Reticle, came to about $1350, they offered to boresight the gun along with mounting it. So at this point i get the lecture about buying things and changing my mind, i am, for lack of better words, being pressured into keeping it, mistake or not. He has given me a Remington 7mm Mag bolt with a scope for our hunting expeditions, he also owns about 47 acres in farmland, which are surrounded by more farmlands and tree's, 7 acres of that aprox are trees and the land is troughed 5 feet around the edges. There is no need for a legal NRA lecture on that, unless people don't understand exactly how many people go shooting on farmland. This is North Carolina, not New York City.
So keep the gun but then buy a more practical one to use for hunting.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 01-25-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Very cool of your father on both the scope & the 7mm. When you shoot the big rifle, have a good backstop (soft dirt pile) and let us see some of the destruction that big booger can deliver.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #45
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

FWIW, dug thru some of my military references. Penetration of the .50 BMG ball round at a range of 200 meters (or 219 yards) is rated at 2 inches of concrete, 14 inches of sand, or 28 inches of clay. Know what will be stopping the bullet, or folks in the next county may want to speak with you.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #46

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A couple years ago, at the NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway, a woman was sitting in her RV in the infield when a projectile tore through the roof and through her wrist. Turned out to be a .50BMG round.

Several days later, a man came forward and said he had been firing his rifle at a range about five miles away. How the bullet got so airborne that it fell almost vertically into the RV is still a "mystery."

Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #47
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Woman hit by stray bullet at Texas Motor Speedway | Denton Record Chronicle | News for Denton County, Texas | Latest News

Quote:
Woman hit by stray bullet at Texas Motor Speedway

05:06 PM CST on Monday, November 3, 2008
By DEBRA DENNIS / The Dallas Morning News
debdennis@dallasnews.com

A stray bullet struck a woman in her camper Sunday morning at Texas Motor Speedway.

The .50-caliber bullet pierced the roof of Jill King Moss's RV, hit her arm and lodged in a wall.

The bullet's trajectory indicated that it came from a long distance away, Fort Worth police told WFAA-TV (Channel 8).

Her husband, Melvin Moss, said Monday that his wife was in good condition at Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital.

"She will not lose her arm. Her spirits are up. She has a lengthy recovery," he said.

"A few inches one way or the other and she wouldn't be here with us."

The Arlington couple had parked their RV at the speedway for this weekend's NASCAR Sprint Cup Dickies 500 and had planned to go autograph hunting when the bullet came flying in.

He characterized wheover fired it as "a lunatic with a high-powered, .50-caliber weapon."

"Whoever fired this has activated me for life," he said. "I'm a Second Amendment guy, but there is a limit."

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #48

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 489

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-26-2011, 02:15 AM   #49
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

"I'm a Second Amendment guy, but there is a limit."

Not a 2nd Amendment guy.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #50

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's great you have family to give you a hand. I know I would appreciate that. That Leupold Mark 4 LR 3.5-10x40mm with Mil-Dot is going to be a bit limiting for a .50. We have M107 Barrett .50 LRSRs at work. We take them to the range a couple of times a year. They come with a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm LR/T MIL-DOT and I think most of us agree, we need better/bigger optics. You mentioned earlier about a range of up to 800 yards, IIRC. We go out to 1000 meters on the range. Our glass is not that good once you get out around 750 meters. Just something to think about.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Closed Thread