Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Some states hunting with a 50bmg will land ya in jail and your gun confiscated.

As for scopes plan on at least 1500$ for a scope that can handle the abuse from the recoil and shock wave from the muzzle.

A 50bmg as a first rifle is a fairly unwise choice. Less your putting a bayonet on it. Then you might be ok.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Shoot I wouldn't want to get caught shooting animals with FMJ ammo in many places.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
That craptastic Tasco will last all of maybe 3 shots from a 50.

I personally don't believe a word you said. Anyone with enough money to drop $3500 on a rifle would know enough that they would know what scopes are proper for a 50 bmg.

What are you 12 years old? a reddot on a 50bmg? Dude go back to playing COD.

How about you scan the receipt and post it up if you are serious.
That entire post was really unncessary, i have never played a shooting game, and what is with the "are you 12 years old?" you are coming off as particularly immature yourself. You are not required to believe anything, and i'm not required to prove anything, i asked a question based on my inexperiance with scopes,as i stated this is my first rifle, if possible, try to manage another post without so much animosity.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Seriously, why did you pick such an unusual rifle & caliber for your first firearm? Many if not most people start with a .22 or something; what gives?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Seriously, why did you pick such an unusual rifle & caliber for your first firearm? Many if not most people start with a .22 or something; what gives?
To be honest, i just wanted something that dressed to impress, my brothers own 30-06 and shotgun's, one of them owns a 7 mag which i fell in love with. I just wanted something alittle bit bigger. I came across the barrett M99A1 first, i began my research using google and i just became impressed of all the information i was able to soak up. That eventually lead to the Armalite Ar-50 which was cheaper and to top it off it held consistant accuracy groups over the others, also the Armalite wasn't $3500 it was just shy of $2800 after shipping. I guess it isn't to late to send it back, i haven't recieved a phone call from the gun shop of the reciept of order yet. But the hostility i have seen so far is making me reconsider this intrest, not just here, but i have been reading many threads and the general type of people lurking these forums are haughty and quick to judge, alot of degredation spewing everywhere on people who just have simple questions, iv'e never been treated like this, there is no need to start now.

Last edited by Caliber; 01-24-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
But the hostility i have seen so far is making me reconsider this intrest, not just here, but i have been reading many threads and the general type of people lurking these forums are haughty and quick to judge, alot of degredation spewing everywhere on people who just have simple questions, iv'e never been treated like this, there is no need to start now.
Well, to be honest, a post about hunting deer with a rifle designed to hunt vehicles and such is a bit hard to take seriously for most of the more serious hunters and riflemen-types (not including less-serious shooters like me). It's like starting a thread on a motocross forum about what kind of knobbies to mount on your Ducati Monster for use on a motocross track.

In your place, i would consider a change of rifle if deer hunting was my main intended use for the rifle. Maybe something in 300 Winchester Magnum? My nephew has a lil .260 that is very tight and stout enough for a deer; heck, you can even get an AR10 from DPMS chambered in .260, i bleve. That might be different enough, a capable deer rifle in an AR platform. Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. You would have enough cash left over to buy some ammo & maybe some camo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Caliber - I think some of the hostility that you are seeing is because of the very unusual position that you have claimed for yourself.

These types of posts are GENERALLY those of a teenager who has been playing a lot of video games and wants to "talk shop' with the big boys about guns, so they revert back to their video game knowledge and make some wild assed comment about wanting to protect a mall as their day job with a folding stock A&I in .338 Lapua.

The .50BMG is not a hunting round to start with. It was never intended to be a single shot sniper style round, it just morphed into that niche' during Vietnam and the popularity grew since then.

If you have done the research, you no doubt understand that a .50 cal projectile is not a stable round until around 150-200 yards from the muzzle. That is how long it takes ( in relative time to distance ) for it to correctly start spinning on it's X axis that it received from the lands and grooves of the bore of the rifle.

This type of rifle is for shooting 500-600 yards at a minimum, with a lot of folks buying it for 1,000 yard shooting competitions ( like benchrest ). It's not a weekend, play around type of rifle or caliber.

Trying to take an animal the size of a deer with it, provided you are in shape enough to hump it up and down hillsides and get into position, is going to cause a lot of wound trauma. Your final dress out will pretty much be done and you will have all the insides of the animal scattered all over about 30 meters in which the pieces now lay of what you were shooting at.

This round was designed as an anti material weapon. Like soft armored machine gun positions for our men and women in uniform. APC's. Things of that nature.

The bullets themselves will punch right through steel plates, so the skin and lungs of a deer are not going to provide much resistance, and assuming they make a ballistic tip hunting style round ( and I don't think anyone has ever posted that question ) it's going to be like setting off dynamite in a mailbox.

For a weekend, shoot against your buddies and see who can hit beer cans at 600 yards, it's a hell of a weapon and will be fun as hell to shoot.

For a hunting weapon you are doing a great bit of harm to the true hunters out there by bringing that much gun to a "sport" that is constantly under attack from the Left.

YMMV and best of luck.

JD

Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #18

No, not a teenager I thought the website displayed my age? i'm 23 and also a father, i wish i had time to play some shooters, might learn something! Sure, i will see if i can get it exchanged for a AR-15, or something of that nature, i just hate that this is going to be a 10% restocking fee plus 2 more shipping charges. I will hang on to the scope if it will work on the AR-15, thank you for the suggestion. My initial though was the Ar-50 was a shotgun with much more range, thanks for the information, i will see what i can do about an exchange, the transaction was at budsgunshop.com.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

if you want a big bore for deer hunting check out the 458 socom. i use one on deer and it is a beyound superb deer getter. mine is from rock river arms.

bullet on the right 5.56nato left is 458 socom

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The .50BMG is way too much gun for anything other than military, police, or use by the hardcore benchrest guys. If you want something to look pretty wicked, be affordable to shoot and build, something you can hunt with, and shoot at the range, do your homework on either of the two AR platforms. Either the 10 or 15. Your decision will be narrowed once you have made your choice on what caliber you want it to be in. There are a whole bunch of AR guys on this forum so there is a ton of information to be had. Heck, there is an entire section of the forum dedicated to just that platform. Do research, ask questions, and start building. You will thank yourself in the end for not jumping into a .50BMG wallet drainer that is good for nothing besides poking paper at 800 yards.

Closed Thread