Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal

So let me catch everyone up to speed, i have very recently ordered my Armalite AR-50 .50 BMG, APA Bipod, Armalite's official molded foam hard case, and about 40 rounds of PMC FMJ 50 cal 660 grain rounds.

They have yet to arrive, since i wanted all my ducks in a row before i bought, if you know what i mean. that leaves a scope to grab, i want something extremly cheap, only looking to put some points down 200-400 yards for now. I will look into a better scope when the funds restock, it ended up costing me alot more than i originally planned on, but no turning back now.

For starters i was looking at this: Tasco World Class 4-16X40 Illuminated Reticle Riflescope w/M $81.00

Simmons makes a pretty cheap one that can be bought for under $100 at wal-mart, and i know this is a 500+ yard rifle, but for now i just need something that can put the bullet where i want it, nothing extreme.

I'm almost considering a Red Dot since i have 20/15 vision i can see just fine at a long distance. What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Cheap scope on a .50? Kinda like putting "S" speed rated tires on a Corvette, IMHO. Recoil impulse from the 50 may shake a cheap scope apart. I don't get the purpose of a .50 BMG at 2-300 yds anyway.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Cheap scope on a .50? Kinda like putting "S" speed rated tires on a Corvette, IMHO. Recoil impulse from the 50 may shake a cheap scope apart. I don't get the purpose of a .50 BMG at 2-300 yds anyway.
A deer can be anywhere from 200-800 yards away, and the .50 cal is my only gun at the moment. Using your corvette analogy there, it's just to get it on the road and to work and back until i can get some better tires, after dropped over 3 grand in this thing already i need to save up for a little while, with that said, i want to be able to use it in the meantime.

I have heard the cheaper scopes tend to fall apart from the shock of the round, if nothing else a red dot should hold up, not that i want to be shooting something close, the yardage is mostly for referance of power, short distance x4-x8 at best.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
A deer can be anywhere from 200-800 yards away, and the .50 cal is my only gun at the moment. Using your corvette analogy there, it's just to get it on the road and to work and back until i can get some better tires, after dropped over 3 grand in this thing already i need to save up for a little while, with that said, i want to be able to use it in the meantime.

I have heard the cheaper scopes tend to fall apart from the shock of the round, if nothing else a red dot should hold up, not that i want to be shooting something close, the yardage is mostly for referance of power, short distance x4-x8 at best.

I'm no expert but I would think there would be a cheaper (and less messy) way to kill a deer.

As said, a cheap scope is most likely not handle to recoil of the 50BMG.

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

That craptastic Tasco will last all of maybe 3 shots from a 50.

I personally don't believe a word you said. Anyone with enough money to drop $3500 on a rifle would know enough that they would know what scopes are proper for a 50 bmg.

What are you 12 years old? a reddot on a 50bmg? Dude go back to playing COD.

How about you scan the receipt and post it up if you are serious.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1967 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Check out SWFA. They have a sale on BSA 4-16x40. About $60 on close out. I dont know how it will hold together on a 50 but forget about a Simmons. I have an Atec that did not make 40 rnds of 308. It was a replacement for another Simmons scope that failed. I dont trust Tasco either. A Bushnell might work.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh come on, I'm calling BS on this one.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Don't know if its BS or not but I think a general rule of thumb is that the scope should cost more than the ammo in the mag.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
A deer can be anywhere from 200-800 yards away, and the .50 cal is my only gun at the moment.
You can't be serious..... Do you have any idea what a 50BMG will do to a deer? Not to mention whatever is behind it after it passes straight thru without so much as slowing down.
You need to cancel your order, get your $3k back and get an actual hunting rifle if you plan to do any hunting. I can give you a BOATLOAD of rifles and calibers that will work better then a 50 and leave you with well over $2k for toys.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

IMO, with that rig, you should go after bears. You might want a sidearm for when you are setting up and hiking in, perhaps: Magnum Research Desert Eagle 50 AE Gold Tiger : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Kill 'em all, let the Game & Fish guys sort them out. (mass ursine slaughter is not legal in some areas)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Closed Thread