Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/cheap-scope-50-cal-37277/)

Caliber 01-23-2011 09:16 AM

Cheap Scope for a 50 Cal

So let me catch everyone up to speed, i have very recently ordered my Armalite AR-50 .50 BMG, APA Bipod, Armalite's official molded foam hard case, and about 40 rounds of PMC FMJ 50 cal 660 grain rounds.

They have yet to arrive, since i wanted all my ducks in a row before i bought, if you know what i mean. that leaves a scope to grab, i want something extremly cheap, only looking to put some points down 200-400 yards for now. I will look into a better scope when the funds restock, it ended up costing me alot more than i originally planned on, but no turning back now.

For starters i was looking at this: Tasco World Class 4-16X40 Illuminated Reticle Riflescope w/M $81.00

Simmons makes a pretty cheap one that can be bought for under $100 at wal-mart, and i know this is a 500+ yard rifle, but for now i just need something that can put the bullet where i want it, nothing extreme.

I'm almost considering a Red Dot since i have 20/15 vision i can see just fine at a long distance. What do you think?

robocop10mm 01-23-2011 02:44 PM

Cheap scope on a .50? Kinda like putting "S" speed rated tires on a Corvette, IMHO. Recoil impulse from the 50 may shake a cheap scope apart. I don't get the purpose of a .50 BMG at 2-300 yds anyway.

Caliber 01-24-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 427731)
Cheap scope on a .50? Kinda like putting "S" speed rated tires on a Corvette, IMHO. Recoil impulse from the 50 may shake a cheap scope apart. I don't get the purpose of a .50 BMG at 2-300 yds anyway.

A deer can be anywhere from 200-800 yards away, and the .50 cal is my only gun at the moment. Using your corvette analogy there, it's just to get it on the road and to work and back until i can get some better tires, after dropped over 3 grand in this thing already i need to save up for a little while, with that said, i want to be able to use it in the meantime.

I have heard the cheaper scopes tend to fall apart from the shock of the round, if nothing else a red dot should hold up, not that i want to be shooting something close, the yardage is mostly for referance of power, short distance x4-x8 at best.

DrJason 01-24-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caliber (Post 428520)
A deer can be anywhere from 200-800 yards away, and the .50 cal is my only gun at the moment. Using your corvette analogy there, it's just to get it on the road and to work and back until i can get some better tires, after dropped over 3 grand in this thing already i need to save up for a little while, with that said, i want to be able to use it in the meantime.

I have heard the cheaper scopes tend to fall apart from the shock of the round, if nothing else a red dot should hold up, not that i want to be shooting something close, the yardage is mostly for referance of power, short distance x4-x8 at best.

I'm no expert but I would think there would be a cheaper (and less messy) way to kill a deer.

As said, a cheap scope is most likely not handle to recoil of the 50BMG.

cpttango30 01-24-2011 07:11 PM

That craptastic Tasco will last all of maybe 3 shots from a 50.

I personally don't believe a word you said. Anyone with enough money to drop $3500 on a rifle would know enough that they would know what scopes are proper for a 50 bmg.

What are you 12 years old? a reddot on a 50bmg? Dude go back to playing COD.

How about you scan the receipt and post it up if you are serious.

JTJ 01-24-2011 08:05 PM

Check out SWFA. They have a sale on BSA 4-16x40. About $60 on close out. I dont know how it will hold together on a 50 but forget about a Simmons. I have an Atec that did not make 40 rnds of 308. It was a replacement for another Simmons scope that failed. I dont trust Tasco either. A Bushnell might work.

lonyaeger 01-24-2011 08:33 PM

Oh come on, I'm calling BS on this one.

Jpyle 01-24-2011 08:39 PM

Don't know if its BS or not but I think a general rule of thumb is that the scope should cost more than the ammo in the mag.

spittinfire 01-24-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caliber (Post 428520)
A deer can be anywhere from 200-800 yards away, and the .50 cal is my only gun at the moment.

You can't be serious..... Do you have any idea what a 50BMG will do to a deer? Not to mention whatever is behind it after it passes straight thru without so much as slowing down.
You need to cancel your order, get your $3k back and get an actual hunting rifle if you plan to do any hunting. I can give you a BOATLOAD of rifles and calibers that will work better then a 50 and leave you with well over $2k for toys.

orangello 01-24-2011 09:03 PM

IMO, with that rig, you should go after bears. You might want a sidearm for when you are setting up and hiking in, perhaps: Magnum Research Desert Eagle 50 AE Gold Tiger : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Kill 'em all, let the Game & Fish guys sort them out. ;) (mass ursine slaughter is not legal in some areas)