Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Can someone explain Co-witnessing please? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/can-someone-explain-co-witnessing-please-72935/)

Gh0zt36 09-21-2012 09:00 PM

Can someone explain Co-witnessing please?

I know I'm probably wrong but I figured whether looking through a scope or iron sights you'd need to be sighted on the same point of impact. Am I wrong?

How can you have one point of impact targeted on a scope but iron sights are drawn on a different point?

Thanks

drvsafe 09-21-2012 09:11 PM

when your optic is set up for co-witness, the iron sights and optic are set up in such a way that their POA are the same. It's what allows you to continue to use your iron sights while looking through your optic in the event that the battery should fail.

Gh0zt36 09-21-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 949930)
when your optic is set up for co-witness, the iron sights and optic are set up in such a way that their POA are the same. It's what allows you to continue to use your iron sights while looking through your optic in the event that the battery should fail.

Ok , how can the POA be different between the two seeing the bullet will only hit one point?

Dillinger 09-21-2012 09:37 PM

I believe the variable that is missing here is that the optic in question is not a scope with previously cranked adjustments for, say, a 300 yard zero when your fold down battle sights are set for a50 yard zero.

If you have a heads up, red dot style piece of glass that is adjusted for impact the same as your battle sights, you are good to go.

If you have a scope with a variable magnification I have always read, and been told, that co-witness is to take place at the same battle field zero as your iron sight, but on the lowest power setting for the scope in question.

Does that help?

drvsafe 09-21-2012 09:37 PM

they're not, they're aligned, silly.

drvsafe 09-21-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 949963)
If you have a scope with a variable magnification I have always read, and been told, that co-witness is to take place at the same battle field zero as your iron sight, but on the lowest power setting for the scope in question.

Does that help?

Any magnification and the front sight starts to look like a shadow at the lower portion of your view thru the optic.

Gh0zt36 09-21-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 949963)
I believe the variable that is missing here is that the optic in question is not a scope with previously cranked adjustments for, say, a 300 yard zero when your fold down battle sights are set for a50 yard zero.

If you have a heads up, red dot style piece of glass that is adjusted for impact the same as your battle sights, you are good to go.

Does that help?

Durrrrr , I think you may be correct weapon in question is an AK , mak90 to be precise and I do believe the the rear iron is set below 100 so probably 50 and I dont know what the scope is zeroed at but I dought its 50y xD Im so dumb.....

plus the scope is on a raised see through receiver cover mount because the mak90 doesn't have a side mount scope rail.

The Scope is a Itac defense prismatic CP1 illuminated reticle

Dillinger 09-21-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 949966)
Any magnification and the front sight starts to look like a shadow at the lower portion of your view thru the optic.

Depends on glass quality, light transmission, and what stage of magnification your scope my have. If the first step is 6x, yeah, you're gonna have an issue.

If it's a 1-4x variable, with excellent glass, not so bad.

Dillinger 09-21-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 (Post 949975)
Durrrrr , I think you may be correct weapon in question is an AK , mak90 to be precise and I do believe the the rear iron is set below 100 so probably 50 and I dont know what the scope is zeroed at but I dought its 50y xD Im so dumb.....

plus the scope is on a raised see through receiver cover mount because the mak90 doesn't have a side mount scope rail.

The Scope is a Itac defense prismatic CP1 illuminated reticle

Yeah, you got a lot going on there that needs to be played with to ensure you are hitting what you want. :)

It took me, literally, longer than I would ever admit to fully understand co-witness and the "proper" way to set it up with a true, magnifying optic like a hunting scope.

I have a quick release on my EoTech for my AR so I don't have to mess with it. If the damn thing doesn't work, get it out of the way so I can see everything I need to hit. :p

purehavoc 09-21-2012 09:52 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...r/cowit1-1.jpg