Can a Lower Priced Scope be Good Quality?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Can a Lower Priced Scope be Good Quality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Can a Lower Priced Scope be Good Quality?

Here's a question for the more expert optics folks here. Can a lower priced scope be of good quality? I'm sure I'm not the only one here on a tight budget who wants the best value for the price.

I know Nikon's relatively well and the Pro-Staff line gives lots of bang for the buck. What other scopes are out that are better than their price would seem to indicate?

I am looking for scopes priced up to $300. plus or minus a few bucks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1969 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Burris Fullfield II. Redfield is made by Leupold. Stay away from Simmons.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are some Millets in or about that price range as well, and I think they are excellent. Bausch & Lomb glass in them too.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

it can be hit or miss with a lot of big names when you start scraping the bottom of the price line. it really depends on what your going to use it on what distance your primary shooting is going to be and whether or not your hunting with it and where you are hunting.

for example if your shooting a high irecoil cartridge or one with a lot of back blast as in a huge .50bmg with muzzle brake your not gonna want a el-cheepo. but for like say a .22lr bolt or semi the 25$ walmart special will work fine for potting elk out of the trees.

the cheapest scope i had was when i had just turned 18 i bought a crossman airgun scope for 10$ it had no gas inside it was basically a set of xhairs thick as hotdogs the tube was cheap metal with round piece of plastic on each end for lenses. used it for several years on my ruger 10/22 took a LOT of rabbit and squirrel with it. it never seemed to lose its zero and worked great till the lenses got too scratched up.

far as i know the lower end end leupolds are decent my dad has a vx1 on his winchester mod 70 super grade and it works fine for him he is more than happy with it.

the cheapest one i have is a tasco redot that came with my used ruger mk2 and a rough breeze will throw it off.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #5

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I use some really strong zoom scopes made in China and sold on E-bay for next to nothing on my .22's and .223's. I tried one on the 308 and wasn't as thrilled. Put it back on the .223 and it worked fine. (could be wrong) I assumed it had to do with the heavy jolt a 308 gives it so I use name brand scopes on the hard thumping guns. I've never had an issue with them on the lower kicking rifles.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #6

Burris has a deal going right now on the fullfield where you buy a 2-7,3-9 and you get a burris scope for your 22 free. cabelas have them on thier web site.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've narrowed it down to either the Nikon Pro-Staff 4-12x40 or a Bushnell Trophy XLT 6-18x50.

I've done my homework and can get the Nikon for $134.95 + shipping at SWFA and the Bushnell for $218.95 with free shipping at Amazon

I'm going to see if I can steal a Bushnell on ebay. I'm bidding on one there right now.

BTW, Millet scope tubes are metric, not inch. I like the Vortex scopes. I looked at the Viper and Diamondback lines. However, the Nikon Pro-Staff seems to equate to the D'back line for a better price.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 11-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anything Millet that has a 35mm tube comes with it's own rings. Just a thought.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Did you price check the Vortex at Promotive? Good deals there also.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Duh, no.