Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Can a Lower Priced Scope be Good Quality? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/can-lower-priced-scope-good-quality-34111/)

CA357 11-08-2010 02:42 PM

Can a Lower Priced Scope be Good Quality?

Here's a question for the more expert optics folks here. Can a lower priced scope be of good quality? I'm sure I'm not the only one here on a tight budget who wants the best value for the price.

I know Nikon's relatively well and the Pro-Staff line gives lots of bang for the buck. What other scopes are out that are better than their price would seem to indicate?

I am looking for scopes priced up to $300. plus or minus a few bucks.

JTJ 11-08-2010 07:37 PM

Burris Fullfield II. Redfield is made by Leupold. Stay away from Simmons.

Squirrel_Slayer 11-08-2010 08:20 PM

There are some Millets in or about that price range as well, and I think they are excellent. Bausch & Lomb glass in them too.

JonM 11-08-2010 08:27 PM

it can be hit or miss with a lot of big names when you start scraping the bottom of the price line. it really depends on what your going to use it on what distance your primary shooting is going to be and whether or not your hunting with it and where you are hunting.

for example if your shooting a high irecoil cartridge or one with a lot of back blast as in a huge .50bmg with muzzle brake your not gonna want a el-cheepo. but for like say a .22lr bolt or semi the 25$ walmart special will work fine for potting elk out of the trees.

the cheapest scope i had was when i had just turned 18 i bought a crossman airgun scope for 10$ it had no gas inside it was basically a set of xhairs thick as hotdogs the tube was cheap metal with round piece of plastic on each end for lenses. used it for several years on my ruger 10/22 took a LOT of rabbit and squirrel with it. it never seemed to lose its zero and worked great till the lenses got too scratched up.

far as i know the lower end end leupolds are decent my dad has a vx1 on his winchester mod 70 super grade and it works fine for him he is more than happy with it.

the cheapest one i have is a tasco redot that came with my used ruger mk2 and a rough breeze will throw it off.

CourtJester 11-08-2010 09:22 PM

I use some really strong zoom scopes made in China and sold on E-bay for next to nothing on my .22's and .223's. I tried one on the 308 and wasn't as thrilled. Put it back on the .223 and it worked fine. (could be wrong) I assumed it had to do with the heavy jolt a 308 gives it so I use name brand scopes on the hard thumping guns. I've never had an issue with them on the lower kicking rifles.

whtsmoke 11-08-2010 09:28 PM

Burris has a deal going right now on the fullfield where you buy a 2-7,3-9 and you get a burris scope for your 22 free. cabelas have them on thier web site.

CA357 11-08-2010 09:42 PM

I've narrowed it down to either the Nikon Pro-Staff 4-12x40 or a Bushnell Trophy XLT 6-18x50. ;)

I've done my homework and can get the Nikon for $134.95 + shipping at SWFA and the Bushnell for $218.95 with free shipping at Amazon

I'm going to see if I can steal a Bushnell on ebay. I'm bidding on one there right now.

BTW, Millet scope tubes are metric, not inch. I like the Vortex scopes. I looked at the Viper and Diamondback lines. However, the Nikon Pro-Staff seems to equate to the D'back line for a better price.

Squirrel_Slayer 11-08-2010 09:53 PM

Anything Millet that has a 35mm tube comes with it's own rings. Just a thought.

Shihan 11-08-2010 09:53 PM

Did you price check the Vortex at Promotive? Good deals there also.

CA357 11-08-2010 09:59 PM

Duh, no. :o