Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Bushnell Elite 6500 vs. Sightron SIII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bushnell Elite 6500 vs. Sightron SIII

OK, don't get too frustrated with me, but I'm still trying to decide on glass for my LR308. I screwed around too long and the Bushnell Elite 4200 I asked about before was sold out in a matter of a few days. So here is my next dilemma: Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30 x 50mm and Sightron SIII 8-32x56. I have a friend with dealers accounts several places and he says he would get me either of these at his cost.

Again, this is a bench/bipod gun, LR308 with 24" heavy SS barrel. I'm no great shot by any means, but I'd like to buy a scope that will last on this gun and one that I won't outgrow as my skills (hopefully) improve. One of the 3 ranges I go to has steel at 1000 yards, but I'm nowhere near being able to think about hitting that, but maybe someday with some practice and the right load.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Sightron SIII all the way baby.

Them scopes track great and have amazing glass in them.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

I always heard that the upper-end Bushnells were danged good, but I only have experience with up to the the Elite 3200. The Sightrons are supposed to be GREAT, though.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

When I was looking for glass to put on 2 of my Savages,I looked at the Bushy 6500.It has decent glass,but for the price I had to pass.

I went with the Sightron SIII 6-24x50.They have great glass,100 moa of adjustment,great warranty.I also found them for a very good price online.

Sightron SIII 6-24 X 50 Black Matte, Mil Dot, SIII624x50LRMD, Rifle Scope: Arcadian Sales

You will not go wrong getting a Sightron.
The only thing I wish they had was a better selection of reticles,I would rather have a fine hair reticle ( without a target dot ),than the mildot reticle.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been doing a lot of research on this recently to scope my Rem 700 SPS tactical AAC SD. It looks like Sigtron's SIII will be the winner for a number of reasons. I'm trying to look at this neutrally because there is a specific MOA/MOA turret/reticle combo that I want and only Sightron's SIII offers for less than $2K. It looks like their glass and their warranty is better but I have not personally owned either products yet. Both are supposed to be winners.
Russ, I'm not trying to be a know-it-all but I would be absolutely sure you REALLY want a scope with 8-30X+ magnification. By many, many, accounts, there is a lot of serious shooters that will not go this high on magnification for long range. Actually; believe it or not, I'm reading that these largest magnification scopes are used more by shorter distance plinkers than long range plinkers due to the mirage effect making them unusable at long distances. Maybe you already know this and I'm beating a dead horse. I'm just saying this because you appear to be one of the few around here that honestly want to get out to 1000 yards but is humble enough to know it takes real practice and good investments in decent equipment. Some of the crud I see around here (posts like "cheapest scope for a .50 cal" or "I target shoot my AR15 at 1500meters with white box ammo") are obviously garbage so when someone like you makes a post, I'd like to share some of my findings. I'm researching this right here with you. Anyway, I would definitely be sure you want that high of a power. I have already made this mistake once but fortunately it was only a cheap Nikon scope. I am still trying to decide on what power scope I wanna buy for medium to long range too, so please share how this turns out and what/why you decide.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning toward the Sightron a little already, but this just seals the deal.

And fixxer, I was not aware of the issue of mirage on the higher magnification scopes. I will certainly look into this before I make a final decision. I'll be honest, I was just looking for the most magnification I could get, within reason of course. I've been using the 6.5-20x50 Simmons that I had on my .223 and I have convinced myself I need more magnification than that. If that opinion is in error, I'm open to input from anyone willing to share their knowledge.

Txhillbilly, it appears that Sightron does offer a fine hair reticle, at least on the 8-32x56.

Sightron SIII 8-32 X 56 Black Matte, Fine Cross Hair Reticle, SIIISS832X56LRFCH, Rifle Scope

Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Txhillbilly, it appears that Sightron does offer a fine hair reticle, at least on the 8-32x56.

Sightron SIII 8-32 X 56 Black Matte, Fine Cross Hair Reticle, SIIISS832X56LRFCH, Rifle Scope
Yes they do offer it in that scope,but not the 6-24x50.

You will probably get better use from a 6-24 power than the 8-32,IMO.The field of view on the 8-32 is pretty narrow at under 200yrds,but it all depends on what you want.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

OK guys, I'm this close to pulling the trigger on the Sightron. Now I'd like some reticle advice. The guy helping me out with the purchase recommended the fine crosshair reticle and adding a speed turret at a later date. I'm torn between this and a mil-dot reticle.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
OK guys, I'm this close to pulling the trigger on the Sightron. Now I'd like some reticle advice. The guy helping me out with the purchase recommended the fine crosshair reticle and adding a speed turret at a later date. I'm torn between this and a mil-dot reticle.
If you will be using a ballistics calculator out to 1000 yards, then by all means go with the fine reticle. If YOU will be calculating the math for your turret moves based on MILS and or MOA measurements, then by all means, go with the mil-dot reticle.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I went with the fine crosshair. It should be here next week.