Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > bushnell banner scope??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default bushnell banner scope??

Hey guys im thinking about putting a Bushnell Banner 6x18-50 on my Ruger 338 win mag. Will this scope hold up or is this magnum going to rattle this scope to pieces? Any suggestions on good scopes for magnums without paying an arm and a leg. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

It should hold up to the 338wm. Make sure to get it mounted right and you should have ZERO problems. There is a very nice writ up on how to lap scope rings and get the alignment right.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have the Bushnell Banner 1.75-4x 32mm shotgun scope on my .444 marlin.I have only 13 rounds through the gun since I put it on and it is still good,we shall see how long it lasts with that 24 lb felt recoil.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Hey guys im thinking about putting a Bushnell Banner 6x18-50 on my Ruger 338 win mag. Will this scope hold up or is this magnum going to rattle this scope to pieces? Any suggestions on good scopes for magnums without paying an arm and a leg. Thanks.
I doubt if a Banner scope will withstand the recoil of a .338 WM for long. I had a 2-7 Bushnell Trophy on my Ruger .300 WM at one time and it lasted only about 80 shots.

I'm not familiar with which low-cost scopes handle heavy recoil, but I find the Leupold VX-3 line to work well. They are all I use now for each my heavy kickers.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The short and skinny of it is that the Bushnell scopes are all tested on a 375 H&H which is a pretty heafty gun recoil wise, so I doubt you'll have problems. If worse comes to worse, send it back if anything happens and they'll replace it for you.

I have a Bushnell Banner in a higher magnification (24x), and mine didnt last long on my 7.62x39 even when properly mounted. I'm not exactly the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to equipment failures. Scopes, as much as the companies say they arent, are delicate pieces of workmanship because they require so precise specifications. A properly mounted and tuned scope wont usually fall apart on you, but the Banner I had has a design flaw (or at least in my opinion its a design flaw), the turret caps screw directly onto the turret and if you tighten the caps down too much and take them off a lot you loosen the actual turret itself and this is what happened to me. I keep my caps very loose now and havent had much problems with the scope after I snugged everthing down.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #6

LEUPOLD, I had a 6 power on mine, what you have to look out for is not only will it hold up but eye relief is also a factor. Bushnell does make some scopes for the WSM"S, i havent had one of them as once again i stuck a leoupold 6X on 300wsm.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee