Boresighting Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Boresighting Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Boresighting Question

I just had a bit of a bonehead minute today. I picked up a red dot sight today and didn't even think about how to boresight it. Any suggestions about boresighting a 22 pistol? I'd prefer not to break the bank to do it.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I wouldn't waste any money on boresighting a pistol with a red dot. What kind of range are you looking at shooting it? 20-30-50yrds. I would just get some targets/posterboard and shoot it at 20-25ft to begin with and then just adjust it to whatever range you intend to shoot. You will only spend a little time and not much money that way, 22's are still the cheapest thing to shoot and you shouldn't use much ammo dialing it in yourself.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Just shoot it and make adjustments on the fly. That is how I did the two I have sighted in.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #4

Cool. Thanks for the info!

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Easiest and cheapiest way is to just sandbag it in place, assuming you don't have a pistol block and vise, then fire a fouling/cold bore shot, fire another round after a few seconds, then make an adjustment and continue until you are on target.

As mentioned above, sighting in a .22 should be a cheap and fun experience. It shouldn't break the bank to do so or you are doing it wrong.

JD

Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #6

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have and used a Site Lite SL500 laser boresighter, however, I dont use much at all any more. All any of these bore sighters do is get you on the paper. You will still have to "fine tune" your sighting in by shooting target and adjusting sights to point of impact. As Dillinger said above the cheapest way to sight in is with a sand bag or bench vise.