Blind in one eye
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Blind in one eye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Blind in one eye

I havent' shot for over 20 years as I had just started hunting when an unrelated accident caused me to lose my lens in my dominant eye. Tried hunting one time after that and couldn't come close, so frustrated I just kinda walked away from it all. Now I'm looking to start target shooting for a hobby. Was wondering what kind of optics are out there that a person could find that adjusts for the lack of depth perception, etc.?

Any input?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Welcome, taihawk! So you are dealing with a few things here. Let me split up your question a bit and maybe you could comment. That might help us help you.

1) Learning to shoot open sights with your non-dominant eye...have you begun to practice this new skill with a 22 pistol? This could start to develop your other eye.

2) On your hunting rifle, are you going to switch your entire setup to your non-dominant side, or merely twist your head to sight with your non-dominant eye? What do you want to change to deal with this setback?

3) Are you looking for a range-finding optic as part of your scope or a separate unit?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you ever tried one of those "reflex sights"? I have heard people say that they are much easier for both-eye-open shooting.

Mueller Optical 1x22x 33mm Quick Shot Waterproof Red Dot Scope FREE S&H MQS12233MB, MQS12233. Mueller Optics Quick Shot Red Dot Sights, Mueller Optics Red Dot Sights.

Maybe an eye doctor would have some input?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Welcome, taihawk! So you are dealing with a few things here. Let me split up your question a bit and maybe you could comment. That might help us help you.

1) Learning to shoot open sights with your non-dominant eye...have you begun to practice this new skill with a 22 pistol? This could start to develop your other eye.

2) On your hunting rifle, are you going to switch your entire setup to your non-dominant side, or merely twist your head to sight with your non-dominant eye? What do you want to change to deal with this setback?

3) Are you looking for a range-finding optic as part of your scope or a separate unit?
1) Have not begun practicing and working on my skill sets yet. Just basically starting to think about this stuff....maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse on this. Just looking for things to keep in mind

2) Not exactly sure what I'm going to do in this regard. Don't even have a hunting rifle yet, and don't see myself doing much hunting other than occasionally with friends/family when they offer to take me out with them. I would think I am probably going to try to learn to shoot left-handed, but until I know I can do this, probably not a relevant conversation at this point. I will say that I suck at anything left-handed

3) as far as range-finding, etc..... I'm so new to all of this I don't even know what that means really

Old 06-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default blind in one eye

Well taihawk we have something in common, I too lost the use of my dominant eye. I am right handed and was right eye dominant, it was my right eye that I lost the use of. There was a thread in this forum a while back that showed a pic of an apparatus that mounted on a rifle that enabled a person who was right handed to use his left eye to sight with. If I remember correctly it was a scope mount. I don't know what kind of accuracy you could expect from a device of this sort. Perhaps you could search this forum and take a look see. As to depth perception I haven't had an issue with that. You can buy a range finder to help with that. I tried buying a scope with a lot of eye relief and "leaning over" using my left eye to sight with, but this didn't work out very well. It was slow for hunting and even with a long eye relief scope I was fighting to keep a full sight picture. I finally bit the bullet and learned to shoot left handed. This was a lot easier than I expected and feels natural now. You have been away from shooting for awhile and have had a long period of time to adjust to being one-eyed. I believe you should give left handed shooting a try. Take it slow and don't be too hard on yourself and I bet you will be back in business in no time. Shooting is too much fun to miss out on. Good luck and hang in there, Ron...

Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #6

My Father lost his dominate eye when he was a kid. From what I understand when the dominate eye is lost the other eye becomes dominate. He shoots rifle and shotgun left handed and pistol right handed. When I was growing up when we went Pheasant hunting he would always be on the right end as we were walking the fields so everyone was in his field of vision. Now as to your question about depth perception. You have no depth perception in a scope or a monocular. So I don’t see that as a problem. To me its like the drummer for Def Leopard that lost an arm. You start practicing and let your brain learn to adapt. He made it back. Yes it can be frustrating. But at least you still have one eye. And if that means you have to learn to shoot weak hand. Just get out and practice. As for me I can shoot better weak hand and eye better than most with there good side. Because I have practiced a lot to be able to do it.
Mike

Shoot Safe And Keep Them In The Ten Ring