Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Best scope under 100$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
I have a friend with a 10/22 that is a tack driver. He put a bsa on it and sighted it in at 50 yds. and had a ragged hole dead center zero on 6 power. When he went to 9 power his group opened up and went 4" high at the same target. When he adjusted it back to 6 pwr it came back down. Call it what you may but I don't want it.
I might be mistaken, but I think you just described parallax error.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I might be mistaken, but I think you just described parallax error.
No that is not a parallax error. That is a cheap scope that changes POI as your change power. Many CHEAP scopes do that. becuase they are not built to the quality of Nikons, Bushnells, Leupolds and many others.

Parallax is where the crosshairs move around on the target as you move your eye. If your have a 100 yard parallax scope and are shooting it at 50 yards you will see a big difference in the sight picture. It is hard to explain over the interwebs and works best if you have a high power scope and set the parallax to 100 yards and turn the power to max and loot at a 50 yard target and slightly move your head up down left and right. Watch the crosshairs and how the move all over the target.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #23

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Care to elaborate on that?
Guess not. Hard to understand how someone can swoop in with a comment like "NcStar are not to be trusted" without giving the OP any explanation as to WHY they can't be trusted....?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
No that is not a parallax error. That is a cheap scope that changes POI as your change power. Many CHEAP scopes do that. becuase they are not built to the quality of Nikons, Bushnells, Leupolds and many others.

Parallax is where the crosshairs move around on the target as you move your eye. If your have a 100 yard parallax scope and are shooting it at 50 yards you will see a big difference in the sight picture. It is hard to explain over the interwebs and works best if you have a high power scope and set the parallax to 100 yards and turn the power to max and loot at a 50 yard target and slightly move your head up down left and right. Watch the crosshairs and how the move all over the target.
Thanks, I knew if I posted, my ignorance would be corrected.

Tango, you did not however address the avatar statement from before though...lol...
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Guess not. Hard to understand how someone can swoop in with a comment like "NcStar are not to be trusted" without giving the OP any explanation as to WHY they can't be trusted....?
Didn't you know that NcStars are notorious for actually loading the firearm and shooting at helpless people? That is why they cannot be trusted.

They are from what I have heard not of the best quality. I have talked to some people and read a lot of reviews on Midway and all seem to say the same thing. If you put them on a gun with any amount of recoil they will either fall apart or lose zero. Then again, that was what I was told about my Truglo's and several hundred rounds later (one out of an AR and the other out of a 12ga) I have not had a problem. I would love it if the same were true for NcStar, they have a holosight I would like to buy.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #26

My point is that the OP was looking for something under $100 and that certainly limits his options. The NcStar is a viable option in that price range. It's up to the OP what he purchases at the end of the day and it's not the place of some respondent to flame a viable option without giving the
reason(s) WHY he said that something was "not to be trusted."

Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #27

Quote:
My point is that the OP was looking for something under $100 and that certainly limits his options. The NcStar is a viable option in that price range. It's up to the OP what he purchases at the end of the day and it's not the place of some respondent to flame a viable option without giving the
reason(s) WHY he said that something was "not to be trusted."
I know what you meant, that was why I gave it a little jab. People do that, they give an opinion as fact (I did that in another post) and as it turns out they are wrong for whatever reason or don't even have the experience to give that opinion. You are right about NcStar as being an option, how viable it is is another story as I have no experience with them and have only read reviews.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #28

I would try to find a used scope for cheap or buy a Nikon, I had an NCstar on my 30-06 for about 3 hours, the recoil brought it off zero slowly. There are used scopes out there for a good deal, just gotta find them. I suggest Nikon though just my opinion

In Liberty, FiveF

Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveF View Post
I would try to find a used scope for cheap or buy a Nikon, I had an NCstar on my 30-06 for about 3 hours, the recoil brought it off zero slowly. There are used scopes out there for a good deal, just gotta find them. I suggest Nikon though just my opinion
Really? What Nikon(s) do you have?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #30

JOSEY,i was in the same boat not to ong ago except i was allowed 70 dollars which really limited me for choice this is what i bought

Leapers 5th Gen 6X32 Mini Size A.O. Range Estimating Mil-Dot SideWheel Red/Green Illuminated Scope SCP-632AOMDL2 FREE S&H SCP-632AOMDL2. Leapers Riflescopes.

you may get flack from people but it has flip up covers,2 inch removable sun shade,2 batteries(red and green illum)mil dot chart and its quite heavy but compact.they still do the old mil spec test where they bolt it to apiece of steel and pound it unmercifully with sledge hammers.ive had it a while about 500 rnds thru it with no failures,its waterproof,fogproof,nitrogen sealed,emerald lens coating,i have used it in rain ,snow,-10 weather and its always a sharp clear sight picture,the eye relief is a little short (2.5 inch)but works on my gun

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb63/f2punk/target124003.jpg