Best scope for. 338 Win Mag? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Best scope for. 338 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Leupys are a great scope also but for price they seem to be falkin short these days an yes i own several vx3, new ones , but for those who cannot spend the $550 an higher the vortex diamondback is one hell of a scope, the viper series have top notch glass an their coatings are very very bright they rival scopes costing several hundred more. I can say this becouse i am able to compare several brands. I have swaro, ziess , leupolds, a burris an now several vortex high end an a vortex their middle of tge road scope. Apples to apples they are right up their with the best but hey its my thoughts you must make your own minds up right.
Dang mulie care to share with your lil buddie here

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #12

I am well pleased with my Zeiss, it has good eye relief.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA5ROW
I am well pleased with my Zeiss, it has good eye relief.
The zeiss has good eye relief yes but the leupold has the longest non critical eye relief i have seen other than a nightforce

Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:

The zeiss has good eye relief yes but the leupold has the longest non critical eye relief i have seen other than a nightforce
But the number one thing to know is a scope only looks as good to you as you. What i like an feel is the best in no means makes it the best for others. But i do feel that vortex is a very top notch feature packed scope an their glass is every bit as good as a zeiss or other top dog

Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #15

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Leupys are a great scope also but for price they seem to be falkin short these days an yes i own several vx3, new ones , but for those who cannot spend the $550 an higher the vortex diamondback is one hell of a scope, the viper series have top notch glass an their coatings are very very bright they rival scopes costing several hundred more. I can say this becouse i am able to compare several brands. I have swaro, ziess , leupolds, a burris an now several vortex high end an a vortex their middle of tge road scope. Apples to apples they are right up their with the best but hey its my thoughts you must make your own minds up right.
You forgot Weaver there mulie vortex is a great optic. I love my Weaver's. The grand slam or the super slam would be another awesome choice for your rifle

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #16

Liked 296 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 176

I have the Viper HS 2.5-10. After looking through a plethora of scopes, this one had fantastic glass and the reticle I was looking for at a good price. The major thing to remember with the 338 is you mounting system. The beefier the better and make sure you have things locked down snug.....don't ask me how I know.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon
I have the Viper HS 2.5-10. After looking through a plethora of scopes, this one had fantastic glass and the reticle I was looking for at a good price. The major thing to remember with the 338 is you mounting system. The beefier the better and make sure you have things locked down snug.....don't ask me how I know.
Yea quality steel rings an bases, burris rings an bases are some of the best

Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7265 Times on 4014 Posts
Likes Given: 7033

I'm very fond of my Leupold VX-lll, 3.5-10X50 on my Browning.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Another thing to consider besides what scope is what kind of scope base. This is especially true when setting up Magnum rifles because one of the biggest reasons for these weapons is the range potential they offer.

On any long range Magnum rifle you should seriously consider a 20 MOA base. This will get you sighted in at much longer ranges without running out of elevation adjustment. Most "hunting" style scopes have a limited amount of elevation adjustment. Much less than a Magnum rifle is capable of shooting. By going to a scope base with a 20 MOA downward slant you automatically add 20 MOA to your elevation adjustment by taking away 20 MOA of downward adjustment you don't need, and giving you another 20 MOA of upward adjustment you can use to reach out without using holdover, or even Mil-Dots, which most hunting style scopes don't provide anyway.

For example I have a 20 MOA base on my Kimber 8400 Police Tactical in .300 Win. Mag. I scoped it with a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 40 MM scope which I like a lot because of it's clarity and repeatability.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/eliteTactical/Product/?n=10

This gun has the capability of shooting at 1,000 yards like an AR has at 100. The Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical has a total of 40 MOA adjustment of elevation, (20 MOA either side of center). By going to a 20 MOA base I get an additional 20 MOA of upward adjustment for a total of 40 MOA. This will give me the ability to hold dead on out to 1,300 yards pushing a 208 grain Hornady A-Max bullet out the muzzle at 2,850 FPS, which a .300 Win. Mag. can easily accomplish. At that distance a total of 36.7 MOA is required. Add in the Mil-Dots, (4), and it can go well beyond that.

So you can see how much additional range you are capable of getting by going to a base of this type. The whole purpose of using these Magnum calibers is the range potential they offer. By going to the correct type of base, you can extract this range capability far more easily, and without "guessing", which will all but certainly guarantee a miss at long range regardless of the conditions you're shooting in.