Best Possible Scope for under $150 - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Best Possible Scope for under $150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

It's comparatively inexpensive to get good quality bases and rings.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #62

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I to am looking for bases, rings and a scope. After reading this thread, Im concerned with low budget (all I can afford) and not withstanding the recoil. I have a .308 Mauser Bolt action. I'm a Walmart guy for economics but it sound like that may not be in my best interest.

Do the bases and rings hold up and the only problem is the scope with high recoil?[/QUOTE]

Bases/Rings are another Story. Generally speaking, they have it easy compared to the Scope. Only thing that can go bad with them is a Screw loosening up from either not enough Torque or a Screw Thread/Hole stripped out(from usage or overtorque).
What I do for my Base Screws is use Clear Finger Nail Polish(Poor Mans LocTite). I also put Nail Polish under the Base to Seal out any Moisture between Base(s) and Receiver.
I have NEVER had to use any Thread Lock on the Ring Scope Screws. If I find them a little loose after a couple shots, then I'll just give 1/4 to 1/2 more turn of them, and it usually takes care of loosening up again.

The Rings I have used for past 50yrs is some form of Weaver, with the latest being Weaver Quad Locks or Grand Slams(WalMart around $11 &16) and Bases also Weaver but prices jump around on these of somewhere around $9 to $35 depending on Model of Rifle going on.

If you're a WalMart kinda Guy, might I suggest for that Mauser either a Bushnell (Fixed) 4-Power for around $40, OR if you can afford it, a Nikon Pro Staff in 3-9x40 for $149. These will be your best picks. Center Point does make a Scope in 3-9x40 for $59 and says it'll stand up to a 416 Rigby, but I've never tried one to know how good it lasts.
Del

Old 10-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I'm glad your asking these questions. I intended to ask them later myself. Just FYI, mounts and rings were mentioned in some of the posts on the companion thread to this one. Along with a few other optics suggestions that I don't think were listed here.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/if-you-had-500-1000-yard-setup-98381/

There were a lot more responses there than this thread got mostly due to a short manufacturer debate. Also its easy to list your favorite gun under $500. Optics are the hard part.!But there were some good optics suggestions there and some good mount suggestions there.

By the time this is over with I intend to start a thread that is basically an article compiling all this information. Guns, scopes, mounts etc. into a thread that will list good, solid entry level options that won't run you $1000 for the rifle.

I keep asking these guys for more information on the options they list so that I can do a pros/cons for each optic, rifle and mount. I'm a research junkie. I can't help it. And I want to be able to use the final thread/article/whatever as a reference for myself and for guys who come here looking for information like what you're looking for.

I was gonna try to do it all in 1 thread but it kindof died.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-20-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #64
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I'm glad your asking these questions. I intended to ask them later myself. Just FYI, mounts and rings were mentioned in some of the posts on the companion thread to this one. Along with a few other optics suggestions that I don't think were listed here.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/if-you-had-500-1000-yard-setup-98381/

There were a lot more responses there than this thread got mostly due to a short manufacturer debate. Also its easy to list your favorite gun under $500. Optics are the hard part.!But there were some good optics suggestions there and some good mount suggestions there.

By the time this is over with I intend to start a thread that is basically an article compiling all this information. Guns, scopes, mounts etc. into a thread that will list good, solid entry level options that won't run you $1000 for the rifle.

I keep asking these guys for more information on the options they list so that I can do a pros/cons for each optic, rifle and mount. I'm a research junkie. I can't help it. And I want to be able to use the final thread/article/whatever as a reference for myself and for guys who come here looking for information like what you're looking for.

I was gonna try to do it all in 1 thread but it kindof died.
i am kind of enjoying this thread and the other one quite a bit. lots of goodideas flowing and giving some good options for putting together a decently accurate rifle on the cheap.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #65

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I bought a Walmart Win. 70 in 7 mag used. It had 2 piece bases. After 10 shots the front screw head on the rear mount fell off, the POI started to drift. After figuring out what tube size and objective would be best I ordered the DNZ Gamereaper and followed the instructions for mounting. This gun is shot to 600 yards and is now one of my favorites. The other favorite mount is an EGW rail and Burris Extreme rings, I would not assume that bases and rings will be trouble free, and really believe that a little better stuff is easier to get properly tightened level, cheaper rings seem harder to stay on the bubble as you tighten them and a canted scope does not get any better at longer ranges.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #66

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

This is about the 1000 dollar rifle you mentioned, dunno if it would really shoot to 1000 yards I quit at 600.

250 for the used 7 mag
350 for the Burris 4.5x14x42 Bplex
70 for DNZ Gamereaper
200 for Choate Ultimate Varmint
75 for the Harris Bipod
25 for Uncle Mikes Tactical? sling not in pic.

If a fella saved some on the scope, a pro bedding job and maybe some trigger work might be a plus, although I lucked out on the USRAC Model 70, trigger is nice. And if you found a stock that suits you or could be home modded that could keep it down some, cause that 250 dollar action was a rare find.

phone-trash-048.jpg  

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 10-20-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

after reading some more, thought I'd add some more to this thread.

No matter what optics you choose, you need to mount them correctly.. Rings are never ever really true and they will affect scopes (accuracy) negatively.. They need to be lapped Buy a Sinclair kit, and buy horizontal cut rings and be done...

As much as many will disagree with me,if your wanting a 1000 yard gun the MAGNUM must be attached! With 338 being the king. 300 next 7 is marginal but is a performer at greater distance.

proper bullet weight ,powder and charge with proper primer and case must also be perfectly matched to the rifle.

To keep things under a grand,you have to find a good used rifle deal you can work with preferably one with 26' a heavy barrel.

Find a Choate varmint or tactical stock

I also use a Trigger shoe (I'm old school in many ways) Paint ballers are a good source to find aluminum shoes on the cheap, some jewler's file work is needed for fit up.

Barrel wise if its "shot out" look into cutting off two inches off of chamber side and have it re-reamed MANY times this will allow another truck load of bullets to be shot through it accurately it's a real money saver. Until you're ready to install a KRIEGER BARREL. (I'm a fan boi )

Did I mention the importance of lapping scope rings?

Become steel or get cut.