Best Possible Scope for under $150 - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Best Possible Scope for under $150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

I've gotten lots of suggestions for cheaper scopes but none with experience in a larger caliber attached.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Could this help?

I have one of each, and I cant find anything to complain about.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=simmons+whitetail

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I've gotten lots of suggestions for cheaper scopes but none with experience in a larger caliber attached.
Sorry about that,,
I do have the ones I posted, on a Savage .308 and a Savage 30-06.
and have shot probably 100 rounds thru each, with NO problems. Holds zero , and very clear /sharp glass.
Like I said I cant find anything to complain about.

Jim

Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux
Sorry about that,, I do have the ones I posted, on a Savage .308 and a Savage 30-06. and have shot probably 100 rounds thru each, with NO problems. Holds zero , and very clear /sharp glass. Like I said I cant find anything to complain about. Jim
Hey thanks! I wasn't sure what you had them mounted on.

Any idea what magnification the mildots are calibrated for?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #54

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
That's cause we got enough sense not to stand behind those things....

Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Quote:
Hey thanks! I wasn't sure what you had them mounted on.

Any idea what magnification the mildots are calibrated for?
Im not sure, Id have to read in the booklet.

May be able to google it , maybe.

I just use the guns for deer ,out to 200 yrds. Clear as a bell up to 16X.

I set them to 6X for 100yrd zeroing. then crank up as needed (old eyes)above that.

Jim

Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #56

Liked 108 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Here's my experience from using a low cost Center Point Scope on a high Recoil Rifle.

I've got a 30-06 and tried a (new--just come out) Scope, called a Center Point Adventure 4-16x40 w/AO back in 2006. I saw it had lots of Bells/Whistles on it and looking through the Scope, it REALLY did have some Clear Glass and I liked the Reticle which also had Illumination.
Put on Rifle and Lazer Bore Sighted. Took 1st shot @ 100 yds. Great, it's close to Bullseye at 2 o'clock. Adjust, reshoot. Now it's 7" away at 9 o'clock. Another shot. Bullseye. Shot, it's now 10" at 6 o'clock.
Took Scope back to WalMart. It won't hold up to Recoil. Yes it's on Paper, but not holding POI.
WHY? It's because the Innards that help with adjusting the Erector Set(that's what the Reticle is built in), basically a Tube in a Tube with Springs attached, that lead to the E/W Adjustment Knobs, aren't strong enough to hold things in place, so the POI is bouncing all over the place from each Shot.

This is not to say that if you purchase a Center Point in a 3-9 or 4-16 Magnification won't work on your 30-06 or even 300WM for awhile, but are you willing to keep purchasing cheaper costing Scopes, just to find the one that holds up for a few Years, when you can purchase a better Scope 1 time that will last a Lifetime. It's not the Exterior of Scope that necessarily needs the Quality, which is also good to have, but the Interior too.
If you really want to go cheap, but good, I would head to a Pawn Shop or LGS that sells some (OLD) "Japanese" Tasco Scopes in a Grab Box. You might even find some in a display case. Believe it or not, these Old Tasco Scopes, which don't have the Glass/Coatings of Today's Cheapest Scope, but their Innards were built much stronger/better. These were very good Scopes back in the 60's & 70's, and you can get them for less than $20 for a 3-9x40.
They won't look pretty, but they'll stand up to that 300WM for years---as long as their Seals are still intact. These were the Poor Hunters quality Scope back in their day.
You might even happen to stumble across some used Colorado-Redfield(Widefield), Weaver K or V Model, or a Old Leupold--even better, but you will pay a little more. I'm over 58 and have had some form of Gun in my Hands since I was 6yrs old. Always liked/had Scoped Rifles for Hunting or Target.
Del
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sweet! Center point is out. Good information! Thanks man.

I do understand that you get what you pay for (most of the time). Eventually I will get a very nice optic. But that's not what this thread is about. When that time comes I will be sure to get all of your advice before dropping 700-1200 bucks.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-19-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #58
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Sweet! Center point is out. Good information! Thanks man.

I do understand that you get what you pay for (most of the time). Eventually I will get a very nice optic. But that's not what this thread is about. When that time comes I will be sure to get all of your advice before dropping 700-1200 bucks.
i have to agree with Triumphman on his statement about recoil and the reticles. and to expand a little on what he said, usually straight fixed power scopes are a bit beefier in the internals because they don't change the zoom and are easier to make, and have less parts.

now whether a Center Point scope can or can't take the recoil of a 300 W.M., i have no idea. it's quite possible that those that have used them and had good luck were shooting milder calibers, or they have improved since Triumphman bought his. but i fully believe what he said about his experince with one though.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #59

Liked 108 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Don't feel bad DeltaF. I also have a $300 Weaver V16, that the first day I put it on a little Weatherby 243, it wouldn't shoot worth crap. Went thru 3/4 box of Ammo before giving up. Wouldn't hold POI. Sent to ATK and they needed to replace the whole Interior of Scope. Sent back and I placed on Rifle and it's been a great Scope since. So even Good Scopes Crap out.

Another Scope to look at might be a Simmons 44Mag in 3-12x44 w/SF. This is now Simmons Top Scope since they dropped the Aetec, which if you can find would also be a good Scope to look at. I've got a Mag44 on a 22Magnum and the Glass compares to my Burris/Weaver Scopes. Get one for less than $120.

I still think that for the best bargain, to check out Pawn Shops/LGS who sell used Scopes. Might even come across some at Yard Sales---which I have, but they weren't the Japanese Models that were the better.

Almost forgot. I had a Guy I worked with, years back that had a NC Star 3-9x40 on a Remington 300WM. Surprisingly that Scope really did hold up for Years. He had a dozen Deer to show for it. Haven't seen him in years, so don't know now.
Del
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #60

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

About the distances: Ask a 5th grader. He will be able to give you the right answer but you will never know how he figured it out.

I to am looking for bases, rings and a scope. After reading this thread, Im concerned with low budget (all I can afford) and not withstanding the recoil. I have a .308 Mauser Bolt action. I'm a Walmart guy for economics but it sound like that may not be in my best interest.

Do the bases and rings hold up and the only problem is the scope with high recoil?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!