Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Best Possible Scope for under $150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use a Truglo 3-12x44 set in a Burris PEPR mount, and it works for me. http://www.opticsplanet.com/truglo-3-12x44-tru-brite-illuminated-bdc-reticle-riflescope-matte-black-tg8531bxb.html

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

DeltaF Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2162 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Wow! Lot of information to sift through! I didn't expect this many responses this fast! Thanks. Obviously there's more hope for this project than some people would seem to think. LoL!

Alright, time for me to start researching some of this. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks!

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have been looking at a Nikon pro-staff for my new .308 does anyone have one and what do they think. I'm new to scope shopping what exactly do the numbers stand for and would I be looking for

Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2326 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman88
I have been looking at a Nikon pro-staff for my new .308 does anyone have one and what do they think. I'm new to scope shopping what exactly do the numbers stand for and would I be looking for
Best scope in that price range. Right up with it is vortex scope. Both are great choices.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

DeltaF Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
Hate to tell you, but you won't get the features in a Scope for the price you're wanting, let alone handle a 300WM on the cheap.
Meh. I'm trying to think outside the box here. I could honestly get whatever I wanted when the time comes.

Quote:
One thing you DON'T WANT is Thin Crosshair Reticle, as this Shoulder Thumper will tear them up in less than a box of 20rds.
Noted.

Quote:
You might want to raise your expectations up to around no less than $250 to even get some reliability. I have a Nikon Buckmaster on a 30-06, so I would start with nothing less than this for a 300WM. Wait! I have seen a Center Point 3-9x40 in WalMart for around $50 that says it is tested and will stand up to a 416 Rigsby. This might just work---but for how many Rounds? Del
Hey I can respect that. Nikon, its definitely more than $150. But not completely out of the question.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-16-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Alright we've got a pretty decent list so far.

Nikon Buckmaster
Nikon Prostaff
Center point 4-16x44
Redfield Accutrack
Truglo 3-12x44

Also heard:
"Vortex scope"

And keep an eye out for "Old used weaver" or "old 1980s redfields" in pawn shops or at gun shows

First off, maybe we can whittle this down a bit. are there any scopes in this list that one of you would definitely remove? If so why?

Second, which of the Nikon and redfield scopes are we talking about? What features are we looking for and why?

Also, same questions for the vortex scope. Which one and why!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #27
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2081 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF

Meh. I'm trying to think outside the box here. I could honestly get whatever I wanted when the time comes.

Noted.

Hey I can respect that. Nikon, its definitely more than $150. But not completely out of the question.
We got the Wife a P-22 for her bolt action 22LR. Just like their camera lenses and pocket cameras(Nikon)... The scope is a quality item.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 559 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Camera Land often has dealer or demo models of higher end scopes that can be had for around 175-200.I have found that if you can increase your budget by even 50 bucks the quality of the glass will improve dramatically.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #29

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Scanned the replies and noticed what I'm about to suggest has not been recommended. Both are worthy of consideration and are at www.natchezss.com a place someone in an earlier reply suggested.

Check Natchez for any of their remaining Nitrex TR1 scopes....3-9 or 3-10s are still available and priced from $100 to $130. These should sell for $270 plus. Natchez will charge around $14 for shipping. These Nitrex are basically very similar to Weaver Grand Slams, made in same Japanese factory, same optics and etc. LOL, warranty on the Nitrex is handled by Weaver. Heck of a price break on the Nitrex. Own a couple of the Nitrex TR2 models myself and dearly wish I"d bought more of them.

Weaver 40/44 aspherical lens scopes at Natchez. Also discounted in price. Suggest the 3.8-12x44 A.O. model that's made in Philippines. Natchez has them for $120 or $130, depending on the reticle. Once again, Natchez charges around $14 for its shipping. Should sell for around $170ish. Own one of these myself....darn nice optics in these aspherical lens Weaver scopes.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What features are needed for 1000+ yard shooting with a shoulder thumper like this?

So far it looks like there's more information on here on how to find a good deal on a scope than the specific scopes to buy. Which is great!

I can work with that. But when I'm looking at all these deals on these different optics what am I looking for?