Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   best optics for my shtf levergun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/best-optics-my-shtf-levergun-53682/)

Tailypoe 12-16-2011 05:08 AM

best optics for my shtf levergun

:confused:
note : I currently reside in and am planning on moving to a country that doesn't allow ppl my age to own non-"civillian" rifles ...
Hi, I'm looking at the options for my marlin 45 / 70 lever rifle. Its prime use would be as a general hunting / defense rifle in a SHTF / shtf situation. I'm pondering the best optics configuration for rapid and sure elimination of immediate threats, while still allowing for accurate hunting. I can dream.
:p
Everyone I talk to likes ghost rings for self-defense, and I find them to be fast and reliable.
... I've heard of ppl putting a scope high up on the rifle, so u can peep at the ghost sights under it. Is there a way to quickly mount / dismount a scope for hunting / long range ? 45-70 Bullets are precious ... What do y'all think ? I'm thinking the standard ghost iron sights are my best bet, but I'd like some added long-range functionality in there too.
Red dots aren't out of the question, but they are very expensive. ...

Marlinman 12-16-2011 05:11 AM

The price range you are in would be alot of help and so would your rifles model #

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Tailypoe 12-16-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 653304)
The price range you are in would be alot of help and so would your rifles model #

The MARLIN 1895SBL comes with the ( i think ) drilled scout scope mount on a nice picatinny-style rail.

I don't know how great that rail is for " tactical " ar15 accessories ...

Marlinman 12-16-2011 05:33 AM

That helps alot. That rail is very good for accessories. Now i just need to the price range your looking for

Tailypoe 12-16-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 653317)
That helps alot. That rail is very good for accessories. Now i just need to the price range your looking for

The reason I'm not talking about an m14 is Argentina doesn't allow ppl my age to own non-"civillian" rifles ...

I'm not concerned with price, just want to know the best type of configuration. The one I get would have to be well-made.

Marlinman 12-16-2011 06:23 AM

Then look at millet, osprey or any other scout scope.

JTJ 12-23-2011 02:00 AM

If you go over the receiver, look at something like this.
Weaver 1-5x24 Super Slam Dangerous Game 30mm Scope

Marlinman 12-23-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ
If you go over the receiver, look at something like this.
Weaver 1-5x24 Super Slam Dangerous Game 30mm Scope

Good optic choice