Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Best night sights? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/best-night-sights-47456/)

Logan636 08-28-2011 03:53 PM

Best night sights?

Im looking to upgrade the sights on my Glock 30 for improved visual targeting at night. My family told me to go with Trijicon night sights and a friend of mine loves Tru glow. Any opinions?

Davo45 08-29-2011 03:30 PM

I know a lot of folks who have the Tru-Glo night sights and love them. Ever since I shot a fellow officer's G-22 with XS 24/7 Big Dot night sights I purchased some for both my G-22 & 23 and as soon as I have the extra $$$ I'll be getting a set for my G-19. I wear progressive bifocals and love the sight picture with them both day and night. I just can't deal with the 3 small dots in a horizontal line anymore, even 5 years ago they weren't a problem.

Recomm 08-29-2011 08:19 PM

I agree with the XS sights. The front sight is large and easily acquired even at night, unlike most night sights. They do take some getting used to as the rear sight is a post that goes under the front "golf ball" sight but once you make the transition I don't think you'll go back.

ScottA 08-29-2011 09:13 PM

3rd vote for the XS Big Dot sights. Very quick to acquire in daylight or lowlight.

Sniper03 08-29-2011 09:43 PM

I liked Trijicon very well until I bought a set of Dick Heinie Figure 8 Night Sights for my Glock Model 22.
The rear sight has a round tritium insert and the front sight also has a round tritium insert. You just set the front sight insert on top of the rear sight insert and pull the trigger. What I found was that first of all, you are only dealing with two dots not three and the old equal space between the front sight and even gap on both sides of the front sight post. The Heinie 8 Sight is much faster. Think about this! If you are looking at an 8 ft. table it is hard to detect if the table is 1/2 or 1/4" inch higher on one end compared to the other. Because you are viewing it from a horizontal position. But the human eye can pick up anything that is not straight up and down vertically and out of square very easily and quickly. If you were to look at a door frame you can tell in a second if it is a little crooked and off to one side slightly with hardly no effort. That is just how it happens. Well that is the theory behind the Heinie Figure 8 Sight. The eye will pick up the second the two round inserts are lined up and on top of each other. Any way I had them on my service pistol and have it on the same pistol today. They are great sights of high quality and fast on target.

Davo45 08-30-2011 04:42 AM

The straight 8 sights are better than the traditional 3 dot sights. They'd be my 2nd choice if XS stopped making the 24/7 Big Dot night sights. As another said earlier, it does take a little adjustment time, but once you get adjusted to them I doubt you'd ever go back. The straight 8 takes a lesser amount of time to adjust from 3 dot sights, but the front dot is not big enough for me anymore.