Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Best Big Game Hunting Scope? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/best-big-game-hunting-scope-7970/)

Big-Kid 10-24-2008 11:37 PM

Best Big Game Hunting Scope?

What is the best scope for hunting deer and elk in the Utah mountains? I have an old PARKER HALE .308 with an really old scope and planning to buy a new one. Which is the best for me? I don't have a ton of money but willing to spend about
$200-$250. help me find a perfect scope for me.:D

Thanks Lance,

matt g 10-24-2008 11:54 PM

The best scope for big game hunting costs about ten times what your budget is. Check out Walmart though, they have some decent budget scopes.

Dillinger 10-25-2008 12:29 AM

What is your "old" scope? Some "old" scopes ( like Leupold ) actually have lifetime warranties and can be brought up to today's standards merely by shipping them back to the manufacturer...

Big-Kid 10-25-2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 46972)
What is your "old" scope? Some "old" scopes ( like Leupold ) actually have lifetime warranties and can be brought up to today's standards merely by shipping them back to the manufacturer...

It is a weaver

Big-Kid 10-25-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 46967)
The best scope for big game hunting costs about ten times what your budget is. Check out Walmart though, they have some decent budget scopes.

I meant the best for my budget.

cpttango30 10-25-2008 01:35 PM

In the $200 to $250 range I would look at Nikon Buckmasters, Bushnell Elite 3200, Weaver Classic V series. If you want to save a little and still get a decent scope look at a mueller I know atleast 10 guys that just love them. Most of them have them on their coyte rig and they take some abuse and keep on going.

Here is how I go about looking for a scope.
1. Figure out what it is going to be used for. Hunting, Target shooting, plinking ect...

2. Figure out how much you can spend.

3. figure out how much power you want.

4. Figure out what brand you want.

4 steps and when you get to 4 then you got your scope.

stick_man 10-27-2008 09:11 PM

I have had best luck with the Bushnells in that kind of a budget range. If you are looking for a low priced scope that performs well (for it's class), I have had good luck with the Simmons scopes when on a very tight budget. They work pretty well for most non-magnum calibers. Like when purchasing a new handgun or rifle, try several out and see what you like the best. You probably won't be able to try one in an actual hunting situation, but at least look through them at the store. There are many different types of reticle, magnification, etc. to choose from. In Utah, a good 3-9x scope works great for about 99% of all reasonable shots. A fixed 4x is decent for shots out to around 200 yards. Most important, get a scope that you like, get it mounted securely, sight it in well, and then practice.

By the way, what part of Utah are you hunting?

freefall 10-28-2008 06:47 AM

I haunt gun shows and buy Leupolds for $100-150. Eventually I encounter a rifle that needs them. They have a lifetime guarantee, you can't lose. One time I was guiding a European hunter who had a Zeiss that cost $1500 at the time (15 yrs ago) it was maybe 8-10% better than my Leupold in brightness (the only reason I use a scope). So, do what you want, look used-look quality.

SVTErik529 12-13-2008 09:57 PM

Whatever you do, don't buy a Simmons. Of course thats just my opinion. :rolleyes:

stalkingbear 12-27-2008 03:24 AM

I was going to puff up my chest and do a good post but now have nothing to add as anything worth saying, you already said. Congrats for the intelligent post and stealing my thunder:p.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 47025)
In the $200 to $250 range I would look at Nikon Buckmasters, Bushnell Elite 3200, Weaver Classic V series. If you want to save a little and still get a decent scope look at a mueller I know atleast 10 guys that just love them. Most of them have them on their coyte rig and they take some abuse and keep on going.

Here is how I go about looking for a scope.
1. Figure out what it is going to be used for. Hunting, Target shooting, plinking ect...

2. Figure out how much you can spend.

3. figure out how much power you want.

4. Figure out what brand you want.

4 steps and when you get to 4 then you got your scope.