Best ACOG for an AR?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Best ACOG for an AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best ACOG for an AR?

What are your guys opinions about good ACOGS for ARs? I want to get one but I see alot of different ones and a lot of different prices. I wouldn't need it for home defense or anything, just for hunting and a range gun. I've seen the Trijicon 3.5x35 and it looks good and all but the $1300 price tag doesn't..

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My buddy has the TA-31F model and absolutely loves everything about it. He's been shooting on it now for about 4 months. I'd love to pick up an ACOG, but my EOTech will have to do for now I suppose.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

An "ACOG" is only available from Trijicon. There are many other suitable optics for an AR platform. I run a Nikon m223 on mine. Most optics companies have something designed for the AR but if you want something that might be found on a military weapon (or in COD) expect to pay a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

alrighty, I just like how "ACOGs" don't have to use battery and I like the reticule styles they have, do brands like Aimpoint or EOtech have "AGOG" style optics?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY
An "ACOG" is only available from Trijicon. There are many other suitable optics for an AR platform. I run a Nikon m223 on mine. Most optics companies have something designed for the AR but if you want something that might be found on a military weapon (or in COD) expect to pay a bit more.

How do you like that nikon m223? Been thinking of getting one

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow18 View Post
alrighty, I just like how "ACOGs" don't have to use battery and I like the reticule styles they have, do brands like Aimpoint or EOtech have "AGOG" style optics?
Aimpoint and EOtech make Reflex and Holographic sights, I believe they all require battery power and with a magnifier they will cost nearly the same as the ACOG.

Trijicon makes riflescopes that use the same reticle as the ACOG, they are cheaper but they look like a "normal" scope.
I believe there are other companies that are making riflescopes with fiber-optic reticles but they also look like a traditional scopes.

If you simple want something that looks like the ACOG there are several extremely low end scopes that mimic the look. So if "looking cool" is more important than looking at the target, check out an NCstar (in my experience they are crap) or Barska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
How do you like that nikon m223? Been thinking of getting one
My AR sees mostly plinking and messing around at shorter ranges (under 100 yds) and I have been happy with it. I have the 1-4x20 w/BDC reticle and because I don't shoot it very far I wish I had the point-blank. I did run it out to 200 yds and while it isn't perfect I have figured out how to match it to my rifle.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #7

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
if you want something that might be found on a military weapon (or in COD) expect to pay a bit more.

Hahahaha LOL. I love that!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Aimpoint and EOtech make Reflex and Holographic sights, I believe they all require battery power and with a magnifier they will cost nearly the same as the ACOG.

Trijicon makes riflescopes that use the same reticle as the ACOG, they are cheaper but they look like a "normal" scope.
I believe there are other companies that are making riflescopes with fiber-optic reticles but they also look like a traditional scopes.

If you simple want something that looks like the ACOG there are several extremely low end scopes that mimic the look. So if "looking cool" is more important than looking at the target, check out an NCstar (in my experience they are crap) or Barska.

My AR sees mostly plinking and messing around at shorter ranges (under 100 yds) and I have been happy with it. I have the 1-4x20 w/BDC reticle and because I don't shoot it very far I wish I had the point-blank. I did run it out to 200 yds and while it isn't perfect I have figured out how to match it to my rifle.

Right, the last thing I want to do is buy a POS optic just for looks. But I guess I don't want a an actual scope because of the looks But if I do drop $1300 on an ACOG it's not gonna let me down?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #9

We had ACOGs in my unit. We abused the he'll out of them and they kept on runnin and holding their zero. My opinion is that you will not find another optic that will out perform or take the abuse that an ACOG will.

Having said that, I had an Aimpoint comp-m on both my saw and M4/203. Again fantastic optic took abuse and held it's zero. Big down fall as a civilian is that it ate batteries like crazy even when turning off when not in use. Those button batteries get pricy when it is coming out of your pocket.

RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
We had ACOGs in my unit. We abused the he'll out of them and they kept on runnin and holding their zero. My opinion is that you will not find another optic that will out perform or take the abuse that an ACOG will.

Having said that, I had an Aimpoint comp-m on both my saw and M4/203. Again fantastic optic took abuse and held it's zero. Big down fall as a civilian is that it ate batteries like crazy even when turning off when not in use. Those button batteries get pricy when it is coming out of your pocket.

RLTW!
yeah thats what I've heard, very rugged optic. I read that guys with eotechs and aimpoints always wanted the ACOGs haha I guess I'll just have to start saving!