Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Best ACOG for an AR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/best-acog-ar-51840/)

Redarrow18 11-15-2011 06:18 PM

Best ACOG for an AR?

What are your guys opinions about good ACOGS for ARs? I want to get one but I see alot of different ones and a lot of different prices. I wouldn't need it for home defense or anything, just for hunting and a range gun. I've seen the Trijicon 3.5x35 and it looks good and all but the $1300 price tag doesn't..

XxChino13xX 11-15-2011 07:09 PM

My buddy has the TA-31F model and absolutely loves everything about it. He's been shooting on it now for about 4 months. I'd love to pick up an ACOG, but my EOTech will have to do for now I suppose.

TCH2FLY 11-15-2011 07:21 PM

An "ACOG" is only available from Trijicon. There are many other suitable optics for an AR platform. I run a Nikon m223 on mine. Most optics companies have something designed for the AR but if you want something that might be found on a military weapon (or in COD) expect to pay a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Redarrow18 11-15-2011 09:36 PM

alrighty, I just like how "ACOGs" don't have to use battery and I like the reticule styles they have, do brands like Aimpoint or EOtech have "AGOG" style optics?

RMP1394-RLTW 11-15-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCH2FLY
An "ACOG" is only available from Trijicon. There are many other suitable optics for an AR platform. I run a Nikon m223 on mine. Most optics companies have something designed for the AR but if you want something that might be found on a military weapon (or in COD) expect to pay a bit more.

How do you like that nikon m223? Been thinking of getting one

TCH2FLY 11-16-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redarrow18 (Post 628478)
alrighty, I just like how "ACOGs" don't have to use battery and I like the reticule styles they have, do brands like Aimpoint or EOtech have "AGOG" style optics?

Aimpoint and EOtech make Reflex and Holographic sights, I believe they all require battery power and with a magnifier they will cost nearly the same as the ACOG.

Trijicon makes riflescopes that use the same reticle as the ACOG, they are cheaper but they look like a "normal" scope.
I believe there are other companies that are making riflescopes with fiber-optic reticles but they also look like a traditional scopes.

If you simple want something that looks like the ACOG there are several extremely low end scopes that mimic the look. So if "looking cool" is more important than looking at the target, check out an NCstar (in my experience they are crap) or Barska.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW (Post 628496)
How do you like that nikon m223? Been thinking of getting one

My AR sees mostly plinking and messing around at shorter ranges (under 100 yds) and I have been happy with it. I have the 1-4x20 w/BDC reticle and because I don't shoot it very far I wish I had the point-blank. I did run it out to 200 yds and while it isn't perfect I have figured out how to match it to my rifle.

lonyaeger 11-16-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCH2FLY (Post 628384)
if you want something that might be found on a military weapon (or in COD) expect to pay a bit more.

Hahahaha LOL. I love that! :D

Redarrow18 11-16-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCH2FLY (Post 628668)
Aimpoint and EOtech make Reflex and Holographic sights, I believe they all require battery power and with a magnifier they will cost nearly the same as the ACOG.

Trijicon makes riflescopes that use the same reticle as the ACOG, they are cheaper but they look like a "normal" scope.
I believe there are other companies that are making riflescopes with fiber-optic reticles but they also look like a traditional scopes.

If you simple want something that looks like the ACOG there are several extremely low end scopes that mimic the look. So if "looking cool" is more important than looking at the target, check out an NCstar (in my experience they are crap) or Barska.

My AR sees mostly plinking and messing around at shorter ranges (under 100 yds) and I have been happy with it. I have the 1-4x20 w/BDC reticle and because I don't shoot it very far I wish I had the point-blank. I did run it out to 200 yds and while it isn't perfect I have figured out how to match it to my rifle.

Right, the last thing I want to do is buy a POS optic just for looks. But I guess I don't want a an actual scope because of the looks:confused: But if I do drop $1300 on an ACOG it's not gonna let me down?

RMP1394-RLTW 11-16-2011 02:54 AM

We had ACOGs in my unit. We abused the he'll out of them and they kept on runnin and holding their zero. My opinion is that you will not find another optic that will out perform or take the abuse that an ACOG will.

Having said that, I had an Aimpoint comp-m on both my saw and M4/203. Again fantastic optic took abuse and held it's zero. Big down fall as a civilian is that it ate batteries like crazy even when turning off when not in use. Those button batteries get pricy when it is coming out of your pocket.

RLTW!

Redarrow18 11-16-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW (Post 628721)
We had ACOGs in my unit. We abused the he'll out of them and they kept on runnin and holding their zero. My opinion is that you will not find another optic that will out perform or take the abuse that an ACOG will.

Having said that, I had an Aimpoint comp-m on both my saw and M4/203. Again fantastic optic took abuse and held it's zero. Big down fall as a civilian is that it ate batteries like crazy even when turning off when not in use. Those button batteries get pricy when it is coming out of your pocket.

RLTW!

yeah thats what I've heard, very rugged optic. I read that guys with eotechs and aimpoints always wanted the ACOGs haha I guess I'll just have to start saving!:D