Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Best <$600 mildot scope for both LR308 & Rem 700 ADL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best <$600 mildot scope for both LR308 & Rem 700 ADL

I am blessed to have recently inherited a DPMS Arms LR-308 AP4 and a Remington 700 ADL w/a 26" heavy barrel. As I don't have a lot of $ to invest in a pair of $1,000+ Leupolds or Nightforces at the moment, I'm looking for a decent mildot adjustable scope that will work both on both an AR platform & bolt gun chambered in .308/NATO 7.62x51. Use: target shooting 100/200 yds out to around 600 yds (would love to eventually get to 1,000 yds). I know these two rifles can be quite accurate out to longer distances, and I also believe in the addage: "why put a cheap scope on an expensive, accurate gun?" Eventually I'll be hand loading, but for now will have to go with off-the-shelf, reasonably priced ammo. And eventually, I'll also have enough money to purchase a scope for each gun. I'm a fairly new shooter and am trying to learn as best I can. For now, I just need something that will work on both and will help get a noob like myself up to speed.

Would appreciate any advice, especially from those who have used these specific model guns. Thanks in advance for any constructive advice!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Are you wanting to swap the scope?

If you are then you are going to have to sight the rifle in again every time you switch the scope.

Me I would pick up two of these and call it a day.

Put the AR in a set of these rings. http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-xtreme-tactical-1-two-rings.html

and for the 700 get these. Base http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-su-one-piece-bases.html and these rings http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-signature-1-universal-dovetail-riflescope-mount-rings.html

Last edited by cpttango30; 11-29-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

cpttango's suggestion of a Burris fullfield II 4.5-14x42 is good....just be aware that a Pentax Pioneer scope is same one and it is much lower in price. Here is the Pentax Pioneer I 4.5-14x42 AO that is selling for $135 plus tax at Best Buy. Some consider it a better scope, being made in Philippines and the newer model pioneer IIs and fullfield IIs are made in China if I'm not mistaken.

pentax pioneer - BestBuy

Another good buy are the discontinued Nitrex by Weaver scopes at WWW.natchezss.com These are basically Weaver grand slam or super slam scopes. Darn good scopes and discounted prices at Natchez with $50 or $100 Nitrex rebates make them a quite a bargain for a quality scope. For example, you can get a Nitrex tr2 4-20x50 SF for $260 (after rebate) and in Weaver Grand Slam line this scope sells for about $560. However if you need 2 scopes, rebates offered by Nitrex limited to only one per household.

Last edited by huffmanite; 11-29-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If you want a decent deal on a tactical scope check out the Weaver 3-10 Mil/Mil from Midway ($299), or the Super Sniper HD from SWFA.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Oh yeah forgot about the mildot thing.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 AM   #6

The Super Sniper is a very good scope for the money. Have one on my M1A and it performs well out to 500+yds. You could also check out the Vortex vipers, really decent glass for the money. I have one on a Remington 700 .308 and it has performed extremely well to date. You may want to check out the Vortex Crossfire 6.5-24x50 at SWFA for $99. For the money, it absolutely cannot be beat and like all Vortex scopes, it has a lifetime warranty. I'd suggest the Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts. You can add up to 20 MOA into the rings and they do away with lapping. Also it does away with ring marks on the scope tube.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl View Post
The Super Sniper is a very good scope for the money. Have one on my M1A and it performs well out to 500+yds. You could also check out the Vortex vipers, really decent glass for the money. I have one on a Remington 700 .308 and it has performed extremely well to date. You may want to check out the Vortex Crossfire 6.5-24x50 at SWFA for $99. For the money, it absolutely cannot be beat and like all Vortex scopes, it has a lifetime warranty. I'd suggest the Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts. You can add up to 20 MOA into the rings and they do away with lapping. Also it does away with ring marks on the scope tube.
This Vortex looks good, but if you are starting out with Tactical scopes I STRONGLY recommend skipping the headache of buying a Mil/MOA scope and go straight to a Mil/Mil. It will simplify your life immensely.

I'm in the process of converting from Mil/MOA to Mil/Mil on all of my rifles and it is expensive, but worth it.

The math is so much easier.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #8

With modern technology and online ballistic programs, and other ballistic reticles do you honestly feel that you need mil-dots. Using them effectively is a true skill in and of itself. If you would like a taste of what it is like, try this demo with your choice of mil or MOA reticle:

ShooterReady

Laser range finders are relatively inexpensive and the prices are only getting better. Couple this with other resources available:

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

And honestly, if you are serious and I mean SERIOUS about LR shooting, you will upgrade as you go along. I don't care what you say, it is an addiction and there is always a better rifle, clearer scope, and faster bullet.

And not to be a jerk, I would get this given your criteria:
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope

Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This Bushnell is just a bit more expensive, but it is hands down the best overall scope I have ever used.

Bushnell 6-24x50mm Elite 4200 Riflescope Tactical First Focal Plane, Illuminated Mil Dot
Model 426245F

The FFP optics are awesome if you have never used them, but that is a whole other conversation.