Base mounts

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Base mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Base mounts

Starting to build my range gun and got my Weaver base mounts in, then I thought to myself hey is there a correct way to put these on. Ive always just slapped them onto the gun and hit the range. Now Im building the gun for long range accuracy only, and need to get ever drop of accuracy out of it. So how do you guys go about putting bases on correctly?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you are going to accuracy can them crapy weaver mounts. You want a one piece base and if you are shooting over 600 yards you may want a 20moa base. accuracy is like speed it cost money and lost of it. Look into a picatinny rail.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you are going to accuracy can them crapy weaver mounts. You want a one piece base and if you are shooting over 600 yards you may want a 20moa base. accuracy is like speed it cost money and lost of it. Look into a picatinny rail.
Good advice.

The rail needs to be bedded onto the top of the receiver. The reason for that is the same reason that a receiver needs to be bedded into the stock, even if using a receiver bedding block. The differences in tolerances between the receiver body and the bedding block, and the receiver body and the rail dictate that it must be done to ensure that the action remain in a "relaxed" or unstressed state. The only stress present should be the stress imparted by the compression the firing pin spring, and the relationship between the cocking piece and the trigger sear while the weapon is in battery.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I built up a Savage in .22-6mm. All I have on it is a 1 piece Weaver mount and the only time I shot it at 600 yrds. it put 3 shots in under 2 in. I`m hopeing to get in more long range shooting tommrow, the rain is suposed to be over.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 04-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I built up a Savage in .22-6mm. All I have on it is a 1 piece Weaver mount and the only time I shot it at 600 yrds. it put 3 shots in under 2 in. I`m hopeing to get in more long range shooting tommrow, the rain is suposed to be over.

WOW .3 MOA that is crazy accuracy. May I see a target?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

- Unknown

Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Dont forget to lap your rings to make sure they are square with each other and to torque your rings evenly