Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Barska Scope Opinions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/barska-scope-opinions-73429/)

SubSniper91395 09-30-2012 07:06 AM

Barska Scope Opinions

I'm looking to get a Barska 4-16X40 Point Black .223 B.D.C Reticle for my AR-15. Ill be using the rifle for varmint and and predator hunting as well as just plinking at the range. What are y'all's opinions of this particular scope? Is it worth the money?

mudpupp 09-30-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubSniper91395
I'm looking to get a Barska 4-16X40 Point Black .223 B.D.C Reticle for my AR-15. Ill be using the rifle for varmint and and predator hunting as well as just plinking at the range. What are y'all's opinions of this particular scope? Is it worth the money?

There are so many other choices that don't cost that much more, that are far superior.

Even NIKON makes a scope specific to the .223 that's on $150

Barska is cheap Chinese with varying quality.
You made get a great one, a bad one, or somewhere I'm between.

Try Walmarts online store.. They even have a true-glo BDC reticle 4-16 x 50 illuminated for under $150

SubSniper91395 09-30-2012 03:44 PM

Ok well what scope do you recommend for a varmint/ predator hunting and plinking AR-15 for under $250

Txhillbilly 09-30-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubSniper91395 (Post 959416)
Ok well what scope do you recommend for a varmint/ predator hunting and plinking AR-15 for under $250

Forget the cheap Barska or any of the other bottom shelf scopes,and buy a quality made brand. Weaver-Nikon-Leupold-Vortex-Bushnell-Burris all have scopes in your price range,and they are good optics that will last you for a long time.
I personally don't care for any of the BDC type reticles.
Unless you are shooting the exact round that the reticle was designed for with the same ballistics,they will never be dead-on target.It's just as easy to make ballistic chart cards for the loads that you shoot,and adjust your scope to the range your shooting at.

mudpupp 09-30-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubSniper91395

If you really want a BDC, the Nikon Prostaff BDC with illuminated reticle is at Walmart for $150, and the proper mount for another $50.

Use the extra $50 to buy some of the ammo you will hunt with and go sight in your weapon.

huffmanite 10-01-2012 12:39 AM

Chuckle, my suggestion of scope brand will probably fall in a category of scope that Barska belongs to with many, but I've had pretty good results with BSA Majestic DX Hunter model scopes. My model has a side focus A.O., very decent optics and I've no gripes about their windage/elevation adjustments. Have three of the 6-24x44 Majestic DX scopes, are mounted on a .223, 257R and a 6.5x55. Bought my first one early 2011 (they were introduced very late 2010), second a month later, and the third one a couple of weeks ago. I'm retired and shoot paper at least 2 days a week, so except for the newest one, they've had a fair number of rounds shot with them mounted.....no problems with them. Bought my last one from Grafs when I noticed they had them forsale at a price a lot lower than I paid for my first two. By the way, the Majestic DX and their Gold Star models have the so called C.E.O. warranty, which none of the prior made BSA scope models have. When someone asks me about my BSA Majestic DX or BSA Gold Star scopes (have 2 Gold Stars, which are better than Majestics), I smile when I reply they are BSA's high end scopes. I avoid buying BSA's lower priced model scopes.

Here is the 4-16x44 BSA Majestic DX, price is $90 now http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/22797/inline/1

If you try to find the BSA Majestic DX or Gold Star scopes in Grafs rifle scope optic section, about impossible to find. Use Grafs search for them, then they are easy to find, but for the Gold Star, type in GoldStar (no space)

gunsmoke11 10-01-2012 01:02 AM

Check out the standard scopes at www.kalinkaoptics.com The Ukrainian FED2.5-4.5 scope with 1" tube that I purchased close to 2 years ago works great on my Ak. Most of my rifles are equipped with Leupolds, old Redfields and Lyman Alaskans. I have no regrets buying this one, cause I can shoot 2-2.5" groups at 100 yards all day and sometimes less with that AK. The scope I bought was sold out but there are others for around $200 that look really good and if they work anywhere near as good as mine you should be very pleased. It's worth checking out.

mudpupp 10-01-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffmanite
Chuckle, my suggestion of scope brand will probably fall in a category of scope that Barska belongs to with many, but I've had pretty good results with BSA Majestic DX Hunter model scopes.)

Dude, if it has worked great for you, than no chuckle given.

OP needs to gives us more detail on what he really would like to come away with.

Yours could be just "that one"

cottontop 10-02-2012 10:57 PM

I have several Barska scopes and they all work great for me. I know they are supposed to be of low quality, but the scopes don't know it.
cottontop

Triumphman 10-05-2012 03:34 PM

To start with, unless you have a "Match" 20" Bull barrel with dedicated 223 chamber, an AR is anything but precise in it's bullseye capabilities. If it is, then you got that "one in a million" rifle and I'm jealous. Honestly, a 4-16 power scope is a bit much for an AR. Keeping it around 3-9 would better suit it, but that's my opinion. Look to Vortex, Nikon, Redfield, Weaver are all very good high quality, lower cost scopes depending on model you choose. Center Point has a very good 3-9x40 or 2-16x40 if you REALLY want a fair scope at low cost. Even going with a good "Red Dot" Vortex Strike Fire, Bushnell TRS-25 or TRS-32, Bushnell Trophy Red/Green 4 reticle choices(mounted on 20ga) or Burris Fast Fire in Red Dot type scopes could even better serve you, as you keep both eyes open for those fast moving varmints. I have a Bushnell TRS-32(WalMart has them for $129) on my AR15 and it does really well on varmints and targets, but it does have a 5MOA dot, but it seems smaller when you're going for the kill. Besides you can/will hit anything with a full 30rd mag. LOL. Seriously, look to smaller power scope, or go with a Red Dot. I've never used the green dot on any of my scopes that have that capability, but maybe some people like them. I would stay away from Barska.
Del